linking a lighting spur into a two way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to spur a new external light off an existing internal 2 way switch (SW1) which feeds an internal light. This is the only feed available to me. The switch (SW1) is never used as we always use it's partner switch (SW2) for operating the internal light. Subsequently I ran a spur from the live and common connections of SW1 which carried current when the internal light was on, this should bring on both lights in parallel - makes sense? So, as SW1 is never used, when SW2 switches on the internal light it should switch on the external light. Why does this not work.

Sponsored Links
NO! NO! NO! a switch does not have a neutral connection to it - you have taken live and switched live from the switch, putting the 2 lights in series when the switch is off. You need to take the feed for the light from the ceiling, where the neutrals are.

See for reference at the top of the electrics UK forum - loads of diagrams there.

It probable will with some switch combinations of on and off, but only half bright, owing to the fact the inside light and outside will be in series!!

Exactly what cores/colours are connecting to which terminals in both switches?? Any other cores in the back boxes of the switches into terminal blocks, or perhabs spare cores connected to nothing??

The problem you have is that most switches will not have a neutral present (a black or blue core yes, but this isn't neutral).

Describe what you have, and we can see if you are lucky.....or not.

Thanks for the responses. I know that I would be best accessing the ceiling rose but this is not available, thus my difficulty. The combination of on/offs is the best I could hope for in this particular situation, this is why I made reference to the fact that SW1 is never used so it's switch is constantly across two contacts. In an inverted triangle view of the contacts I have a red wire to the bottom contact, blue with red sleeve to top left and yellow with red sleeve to top right and the earth wire to the back box.

Sponsored Links
What about the other switch?? If the other switch has a neutral, you can alter the wiring that end, to provide a neitral at the new switch.

We need to know what the wiring is like in both switches!

SW2 has a yellow with red sleeve to common, blue with red sleeve to contact 2 and another yellow with red sleeve to contact 3. There is also a blue cable running from the same 3+E as the common yellow, this is choc blocked to a black. There are 3 x 3+E in this SW2 as there is a second gang for a further one-way light. Thanks for your assistance.

Can you take a photo or draw the exact arrangement and post it as a picture on here (ask if your not sure how to post a pic - its easy!).

Sounds like you may have a neutral in the 2 gang switch, but with a pic, I will be able to make a better judgement.

If this is the case, we can alter the connections at the 2 gang to put a neutral at the 1 gang.

How to post a picture information is here

Can you advise how to load pictures??? I have a couple of photos which may be of use but you may need a full diagram as there are 12 wires in there! When I get them through to you, SW2 is the one furthest from the wall/nearest the camera. Thanks.[/img]

read my note above

You need to upload your images to a host such as

http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/index.php

Then put the link that site gives you (use right click, copy and paste) into a post here. Highlight the link in your post-a-reply box, and click the IMG button (on the same line as the bold, italic etc).

This will essentially place {img} {/img} either side of your link, with the {} being [] (cant write them, or it will try to place an image!)

:D

Well, [.img]that's another way of[./img] doing it, but you can't
, can you?

However, it does look more accurate than mine, so thanks for that tip..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back