Spur from socket for outside power controlled by switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm looking for advice on whether or not the following is possible? Before I get a qualified guy in to do the work I would like to be confident that what i want can be done and more importantly that if it will be safe done this way...

I am looking to get power outside to do two things, switch on/off decking lights and switch on/off a socket for a lawn mowever or whatever.

I'm proposing to take a spur from an internal double socket near the location of where the outside socket would be. This internal socket however already has a spur to another internal socket.

My understanding is that a fused connection unit can be installed next to the existing internal socket, this would then power the existing spur and the outside line.

What I am unsure of is though is then can a double internal light switch then be utilised to control two lines outside connections (i.e. one for the decking and another for the external socket) - imediatley above and to the left of the exisiting internal socket is an light switch that controls the outside light - could I get a triple light switch to make the job neat to control the existing switch for the outside light and the new two proposals?

I hope this makes sense and any help.pointers appreciated. I am paranoide about people not doing work the way it should be done so like to know how it should be.

Cheers.

p.s. its a new build property and the socket is protected to the consumer unit rcb

Sponsored Links
Switch on/off a socket for a lawn mowever or whatever.

Why not have the switch on the socket? To avoid accidentally remotely switching on the lawnmower or other appliance without knowing about it.

I'm proposing to take a spur from an internal double socket near the location of where the outside socket would be. This internal socket however already has a spur to another internal socket.
If you have an external appliance or wiring with an earth leakage fault then it will trip the RCD in your main consumer unit. Not very convenient.

My understanding is that a fused connection unit can be installed next to the existing internal socket, this would then power the existing spur and the outside line.
How will you make all those connections in the back of a socket?

What I am unsure of is though is then can a double internal light switch then be utilised to control two lines outside connections (i.e. one for the decking and another for the external socket) - imediatley above and to the left of the exisiting internal socket is an light switch that controls the outside light - could I get a triple light switch to make the job neat to control the existing switch for the outside light and the new two proposals?

A light switch for the decking should be fine.

for the socket a light switch will not handle 13 amps which is the load that you could apply to a single outside socket. A remote switch is not always a good idea on a socket. See above.

You really would be better off asking your electrician for ideas about what you require.

If you are saying that the existing spur and your new spur are being protected by a 13 amp switched fused spur then this is ok. what you have to bear in mind is this; If the circuit is a ring main you can have one spur line from each socket on that ring. If you then take a spur from a spur already spur off a ring then you have the potential to overload a 26 amp cable with 32 amp load. By fitting a 13 amp spur at the front you are limiting the load to 13 amp. The cable is protected from overload. you only have 13 amp to play with though. Can you live with that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back