fitting an external RCD power point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All help would be appreciated

I have purchased an RCD protected external power socket and intend to take a spur from the double socket in the kitchen, drill a hole to the outside and the fit the external socket, however I started to think about switching of the external socket from the inside of the house. Is it feasible to run a spur from the internal socket to an internal switch and from the internal switch to the external socket. If so what switch would be required.

Thanks for your help in advance

Sponsored Links
You can do it with a switched fused spur, do you need the double socket? you could change that into a fcu and then no need for the extra socket.

and part p is needed here. ;)

yep, I need to keep the double socket in the kitchen. The FCU, what fuse should be used in the instance. Sorry, unsure what you mean by part P

Hight, don't make the same mistake as me, he's in Glasgow, No PP

Sponsored Links
Forget Part P, its a rule for us southern's.

I have purchased an RCD protected external power socket and intend to take a spur from the double socket in the kitchen, drill a hole to the outside and the fit the external socket,

Thats all you have to do. Try to protect the 2.5mm cable where it passes through the wall with a bit of plastic tube. You dont need a FCU, just link out of the back of the Kitchen socket in 2.5 and terminate that in the RCD socket

Pensdown, got that bit, but I will need a switched FCU if I'm going to turn the power off from the inside.

Just one other thing the external power socket has two sockets that are protected to IP66 rating and small holes at the bottom that allow you to run cable through. Is it OK to have two appliances running from the sockets and a further appliance (armour cable) wire directly to the socket

If you want to be able to switch the outside socket from inside thats a different question. Also, if you want to run another appliance via an SWA from the outside socket, thats also a different question.

and if you had ask me on a Monday I would have said yeeees, and if you asked on a Tuesday I would have said yessssss, but you asked me on a Friday so I have to say nooooo

Yes, if you want an rcd socket outlet outside and to run a further outlet from that it is possible as long as the whole is protected by a 13A fuse. Make sure you calculate the correct cable size for the SWA according to distance and design current.

AND - if you connect the SWA to the rear of the socket outlet it will not be RCD protected. If you want rcd protection for the SWA, buy an RCD fused spur, and change the IP rated outlet for non protected type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back