External Power Advice....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it matters - the OP knows full well that what he is planning to do is non compliant, he doesn't care, and watson is encouraging him.

Nice of you to put words in my mouth, I haven't said that I don't care anywhere. Which part exactly do you believe is non-compliant?

It's so good to post a query for some advice, yet you start an argument for the sake of an argument and try slating me for it!

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I kind of got that impression. The sort of person you avoid at all costs at the bar :rolleyes:
Indeed. In fact, if he were doing it in a bar, he'd probably be advised to pre-arm himself with knowledge of the quickest route to the nearest A&E Department :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Did I say it wasn't armoured cable?
Yes:

the device has a 10m cable
It will not be armoured cable.

Nice of you to put words in my mouth, I haven't said that I don't care anywhere.

Besides - as important as that is, I know where I stand with that. It's not the point in my query ;)
So you know where you stand regarding what the regulations say about burying your cable, but you still plan to do it.

That does not seem like the behaviour of someone who cares.

Which part exactly do you believe is non-compliant?
Burying the cable in PVC conduit.

So you know where you stand regarding what the regulations say about burying your cable, but you still plan to do it.

Of course he does because his proposal complies with regs, as I have previously confirmed.

That does not seem like the behaviour of someone who cares.

He obviously does care that's why he came here for advice.

BAS, why do you choose to deliberately misinterpret 522.8.10 that says - Except where installed in a conduit or duct..........cables shall incorporate an earthed armour sheath.

I note the delay in your reply, normally you reply like lightning, is this because your request to remove your embarrassment has been ignored by admin?

Of course he does because his proposal complies with regs, as I have previously confirmed.
I disagree with your opinion on compliance, and your opinion is not confirmation.

BAS, why do you choose to deliberately misinterpret 522.8.10 that says - Except where installed in a conduit or duct..........cables shall incorporate an earthed armour sheath.
I am not deliberately misinterpreting 522.8.10. Are you deliberately misrepresenting what it says by omitting part of the requirement in that quote?

I do not agree that PVC conduit complies with the requirement for mechanical protection.

I note the delay in your reply, normally you reply like lightning, is this because your request to remove your embarrassment has been ignored by admin?
You can produce evidence that I made such a request, can you?

Plastic conduit with non-armoured cable does not comply.
Plastic is in no way equivalent to metallic armour.

Highly doubtful the rest of 522.8.10 was followed either.

522.8.10.png

Plastic is in no way equivalent to metallic armour.
Agreed but, as I wrote, if the 'equivalent' does, indeed refer to the rest of the sentence, what about "equivalent (mechanical protection) to that provided by an earthed metal sheath"? I'm pretty sure I could find you some cables with earthed metal sheaths (not armour) that provide less mechanical protection to the cores than would many/most plastic conduits, don't you agree? Since it seems odd that the regs would be intended to be interpreted in that way, I suspect that it may be another example of a poorly/badly worded reg!
Highly doubtful the rest of 522.8.10 was followed either.
I would have thought that 450mm deep and under a patio would probably satisfy the last sentence, but I agree that the OP may omit the marker tape.

Kind Regards, John

I'm pretty sure I could find you some cables with earthed metal sheaths (not armour) that provide less mechanical protection to the cores than would many/most plastic conduits, don't you agree?
But would those cables be suitable for direct burial?

For what it is worth DNOs seem to be happy with using concentric cable with no armouring, preferable run through ducting but also they seem happy for it to be buried without ducting in some places.

Although the concentric outer layer is usually combined earth and neutral.

But would those cables be suitable for direct burial?
522.8.10 seems to say that they (at least some of them) are - otherwise it would presumably not offer that as one of the two acceptable options for cables which are not installed in a conduit or duct. Unless I'm missing it, I see nothing in the regs which requires that a buried cable (whether underground or in a wall) has to provide any significant mechanical protection if it has an earthed outer covering.

Kind Regards, John

I'm sure there is a reg somewhere about cables having to be suitable for the environment where they are used.

Would you bury BS8436 cable directly in the ground and then claim that you had exercised reasonable skill and care etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back