Switched spur connecting house to detached garage

Sponsored Links
Why do you think that it is no longer used?

Sorry I do not have X-Ray eyes.

Some obvious questions

What is on the other side of the wall
Are there cables behind the screwed cover at the top?
Where does the bottom of the conduit go - to that socket, perhaps?

What is on the other side of the wall
Are there cables behind the screwed cover at the top?
Where does the bottom of the conduit go - to that socket, perhaps?

It is an outside wall and on the other side comes out the underground cable for the garage but it is almost at ground level and is connected through the wall to the second FCU on the right.

It's very difficult to unscrew the cover at the top so I don't know if there are cables inside (it must have been screwed when the house was built in the late 40's). There is only one double socket on that wall.

The bottom of the conduit comes from underneath the solid floor screed but it passes behind the double socket and goes uo beyond that. There is another conduit for the double socket which passes diagonally behind the 2nd FCU.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is. If the 13A fuse were to blow on the first FCU or if I were to take it out of that one, that would definitely affect the second 13A FCU.

Yes it is. If the 13A fuse were to blow on the first FCU or if I were to take it out of that one, that would definitely affect the second 13A FCU.
The point is that it wasn't clear whether the second FCU was fed from the supply side or load side of the first one. If it's fed from the load side (but not if it's fed from the supply side), what you say is true - but if that is the case, then what on earth is the point of the second FCU? If you need anything there at all, a switch would br adequate.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back