fused connection switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a outside power socket with rcd the thing is i ran a spur from a socket to a fused connection unit and then to the outside socket with built in rcd. The problem is the sockets work ok but when i try to switch it of from the fused switch it doesn't go of only when i switch it of from the outside socket itself does it go of. What have i done wrong,i now think i should have just run the spur directly to the outside socket bypassing the fused switch. Is this right. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have connected the cable from the outside socket into the same terminals on the fcu as the cables from the indoor socket. If so the outdoor socket is not protected by the fuse in the fcu anyway.

You're postulating that someone would get an FCU, see 4 terminals into which they have to put 4 conductors (I'm ignoring the earth), and think "how odd" and put each cable into just one pair?

That would be spectacularly dumb, wouldn't it?

(pedantry ON)

"I have installed an outside power socket with RCD. I ran a spur from a socket to a fused connection unit and then to the outside socket with built-in RCD. The problem is that the sockets work okay, but when I try to switch it off from the fused switch it does not turn off. Only when I switch it off from the outside socket itself does it go off. What have I done wrong? I now think I should have just run the spur directly to the outside socket bypassing the fused switch. Is this right? Thanks"

(pedantry OFF)

Phew - that's better :) :) :)

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
That would be spectacularly dumb, wouldn't it?

Yes.

Perhaps you would like to tell him how to do it properly.

Note that the INPUT terminals, often marked SUPPLY, should take the mains circuit cables, and the OUTPUT terminals often marked LOAD should take the cable leading to outdoor socket.
One Earth terminal is used for the Incoming earth, and the other is used for the Socket earth.

Surely it's a broken FCU?

Someone could easily get supply and load mixed up, and wonder why the neon (if there is one) never goes out.

They could get L&N mixed up, and never know (hopefully) that the fuse wasn't providing proper protection.

They could even wire it "sideways", and wonder why the fuse or MCB goes when they turn it on.

But to see 4 terminals, 4 wires, and to decide to pair the wires into one set of terminals and leave the other ones empty?

[victor_meldrew]I don't believe it.[/victor_meldrew]

Perhaps this guy did the Wylex board in the picture post.........

There are two holes in this MCB, let's put the busbar and the circuit phase into the same one and leave the other out......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back