outside light and socket??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

this is my firsty post. I wish to have fitted an external light and socket outside. the socket will be used for music/patio heater. I initially thought spurring off the ring main fitting a rcd then from this to outside socket and a seperate fcu for the external light so it could be powered independent to the socket. I then relised having 2 rcd on same circuit causes both to trip (i only wanted power outside to trip if failure occured).

So as my CU is RCD protected is it ok to spur off ring main with a fused switch for external socket and a second fused switch for the external light. This way i can switch off all power to outside when not needed so if for example i went on holiday a failure outside would prevent whole house tripping?

another one how come a rcd i have plugged into a socket inside does not cause the cu to trip when tested if that makes sense?

I hope all this makes sense :) and work will be carried out by qualified person. I just want to have an idea so to lower risk of having my pants pulled down over cost.

Sponsored Links
So as my CU is RCD protected is it ok to spur off ring main with a fused switch for external socket and a second fused switch for the external light.
Yes, they will need to be double pole switches, otherwise faults outside could still cause the RCD to trip.

another one how come a rcd i have plugged into a socket inside does not cause the cu to trip when tested if that makes sense?
The test button causes an imbalance by connecting a resistance across the RCD - typically between the neutral terminal before the RCD and the line terminal after it.
The RCD in your consumer unit won't trip as the test is all on one side of that RCD - it just appears as a normal load. To trip that, you need a connection before the CU, which a plug-in device cannot have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back