Rcd twin switched sockets tripping house cu??

I'm not trying to be aggressive when I say this, but, if faced with a judge in a court of law, how would he see your interpretation of the wording?

I happen to agree with you whole-heartedly, but I don't feel that that is how the folks that wrote it intended it to be interpreted.

Sponsored Links
I'm not trying to be aggressive when I say this, but, if faced with a judge in a court of law, how would he see your interpretation of the wording? I happen to agree with you whole-heartedly, but I don't feel that that is how the folks that wrote it intended it to be interpreted.
I have responded to this in a new spin-off thread here . Would any folk wishing to continue this discussion please respond in the new thread. Thanks.

Kind Regards, John

Slightly back on topic...

I've decided to redo the electrics:

Swa in an galvanised adaptable box on back wall of house and terminated into a 13amp rcd plug in adapter.

Swa upto the shed and into a surface mounted twin switched metal clad socket where I'll run x2 more twin sockets in radial circuit. I'll use a 5amp switched fused spur for the lights (spurred off a socket) all run in conduit in shed 2.5mm t&e for sockets and 1.5mm t&e for lights.

I'll get a qualified sparky friend to pop round to sign it all off and check it all out.

So I power it up and all is ok but when I click the "test" button on any of the rcd sockets in the shed it trips out the house mcb (house has a split rcd cu).
If the test button on the sockets creates the testing un-balance with a resistor to ground than all RCDs along the route will see the same unbalance and trip

Have I gone over the top on rcds or am I missing something else?
yes and yes, you are missing the basic knowledge of how to design a safe electrical installation. So many RCDs will ( hopefully ) make the risk of electrocution acceptable low. BUT by mis use of RCDs you have added dangerous hazards to people in the house who may be plunged into sudden darkness due to a minor problem in the shed.

Sponsored Links
I've decided to redo the electrics:
Wrong decision.

Swa in an galvanised adaptable box on back wall of house and terminated into a 13amp rcd plug in adapter.
QED.

I'll get a qualified sparky friend to pop round to sign it all off and check it all out.
You obviously don't value his friendship, or you wouldn't ask him to lie for you on official documentation.

Swa in an galvanised adaptable box on back wall of house
What I know as an adaptable box (folded up bit of galvanised steel) is far from waterproof and therefore unsuitable for outdoor use.
and terminated into a 13amp rcd plug in adapter.
So still plug in (generally better hard wired), and still a superfluous RCD.

For the types of RCD under discussion, you cannot get discrimination between them - have a fault and it's almost certain that both (all) in the circuit will trip.

You would be far better taking the circuit back the CU and supplying it from it's own MCB in a non-RCD way. But really, for the reasons already given, you would be better getting someone qualified to do it for you - safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back