Run a spur off a fused switch???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a fused switch that is on constantly and supplies an outside security light. I am almost sure that this fused switch used to be a single socket but was converted by an electrician for the outside light.

Am I able to run a spur off this switch to feed a double socket or would I be better to re-convert the switch back to a socket (double) and run a spur from that to supply a new switch for the light.

Hope that all made sense :D :D

Sponsored Links
If the fused switch (I assume you mean an FCU?) has only one cable feeding it then it is already a spur and you cannot run another spur from it.
If it has two cables feeding it then it MIGHT be part of the ring and then you could spur off it.

If its already a spur then you could:
1. put in a double socket and plug the light into it that gains you an extra socket
2. put in a triple socket (like Clipsal make) and plug the light into it that gains you an two sockets (max current will be 13A)
3. Upgrade the fuse in the existing FCU to 13A. On the outlet side of the FCU you could then connect another fused spur (FCU) fused at 3A foir your light and run a cable to a double socket. Note again that the total load will be limited to 13A.
There's otyer options but one of the above should suit you sir, Oh!

Many thanks Taylortwocities.

The FCU is not a spur and has two cable running to it so I am assuming that it is part of the ring.

So am I right in thinking that i can just run a spur straight off this or would it be better to change the FCU to a socket and run a spurred FCU from the new socket.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back