Question about a Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Quick question.
Currently I have an outside double socket that is a spur from an internal double socket. Socket is fully waterproof etc but I wondered whether I am able to also run an outside light off of the spur off the main ring ?
Is this possible, or will I need to replace the Socket with a fused Spur, and then from that have the double socket and the light (which I assume can have the switch taken anywhere.

Or, is there a better way of doing this that I am not aware of.

Also, is there a limit to the number of lights that can be lit this way ?

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you want to run a light of this same circuit then an FCU should be fitted preferably one with a double pole switch for easier maintenance, you could either put a single box next to the socket or fit a double/dual accessory back box with the abilty to fix a single socket and an FCU together. The number of lights supplied this way can only be determined by their power rating?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Boxes_Flush/index.html

If really would be better to run a separate circuit if the lights in question have high output.

Hi Chivers,

Thanks for the reply.

So, if i understand correctly, it will look something like this

View media item 26385
Above the line is how it is now - Ring main with a double socket spur off of it.

Below the line is how it should be - (I think)

The double socket is replaced with an FCU (double pole) which in turn feeds into the existing outside double socket. This is then 'fused down' again from the socket to run the light (with the switch being fed from the light as normal).
It's only 1 light in porch so ahouldnt need a new circuit.

Yes that looks acceptable.

Don't forget you can feed the light switch first, then go to the light. Join neutrals in a connector, earths in the earth terminal.

This would give you one cable to connect at the light fitting, so might give you a bit more space to wire it.

Also you would have live AND neutral at the switch which could prove helpful if you want to add an outside lantern later.

You could forget about the porch light switch and just use the (switched) FCU - but IMO that looks a bit naff, and stops you fitting dimmers, switches that match the rest in the house, etc, etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sparkwright

Final question. What size should the two FCU's be.

Thanks again.

Thanks guys for all your help.

I've managed to find a weatherproof 13amp fcu, but cant see that they sell a 3 or 5 amp one for the light ?
Is it just a case of changing a fuse within the fcu ?

Thanks

Thanks guys for all your help.

I've managed to find a weatherproof 13amp fcu, but cant see that they sell a 3 or 5 amp one for the light ?
Is it just a case of changing a fuse within the fcu ?

Thanks

Yes, you just change the fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back