Wiring external pond pump.

What's this 'olive' that you're both talking about?
Decent glands have a metal olive which is what grips the armour strands, it's tapered so that it fits over the conical gland body and grips the armour over the whole inner surface of the olive.

As I wrote above, the back nut surely screws directly onto the body of the gland, with nothing (other than the armour) in between?
That substandard type is also available.

Sponsored Links
Decent glands have a metal olive which is what grips the armour strands, it's tapered so that it fits over the conical gland body and grips the armour over the whole inner surface of the olive. .... That substandard type [without an olive] is also available.
Oh - I have to say that's a new one on me. What counts as a 'decent' type - I think I've always used "Davico" branded ones, which certainly don't have an olive. Nor is there any sight of an olive in our wiki'e instructions as to how to fit SWA glands (click here). .

Having said that, I can certainly see the merit in having an olive, since, without one, the strands of armour twist as one tightens the nut, sometimes making that tightening quite difficult.

If the taper of the olive is, as I presume must be the case, the same as that as the (very obvious) taper of the conical part of the gland body, then it surely must be quite obvious which way round it is meant to go?

Kind Regards, John

Is there an alternative to these glands. I've watched a million videos and despite trying for days, I cannot get the gland over the armour at all.

Simply put, it just doesn't connect

Have you watched JW's video - seems to be one of the clearest and it does show the "olive" (though it's not olive shaped like in a plumbing compression fitting)

Sponsored Links
Have you watched JW's video - seems to be one of the clearest and it does show the "olive" (though it's not olive shaped like in a plumbing compression fitting)

Yup. This is what I've been following.

No matter what, the olive won't go over the bottom of the tapered end with the steel there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back