Recommendations for an external double socket

or do you just run it of the back of an existing internal socket ring main and poke through the wall?

If you do that then if ( when ) the external socket is damaged /water logged then the RCD will trip and all the sockets on that ring will not be useable until the damage has been repaired and the RCD can be reset.

Supply the outside socket via a double pole isolator fitted inside the house. This will allow the damage socket to be isolated and the RCD reset.

Or run the outside socket directly from it's own RCD / RCBO in the consumer unit so that nothing in the house is affected if ( when ) the outside socket or something plugged into it goes faulty.

Sponsored Links
If you do that then if ( when ) the external socket is damaged /water logged then the RCD will trip and all the sockets on that ring will not be useable until the damage has been repaired and the RCD can be reset.

Supply the outside socket via a double pole isolator fitted inside the house. This will allow the damage socket to be isolated and the RCD reset.

Or run the outside socket directly from it's own RCD / RCBO in the consumer unit so that nothing in the house is affected if ( when ) the outside socket or something plugged into it goes faulty.

1. Doesn't the internal double pole socket not require a fuse like in fused spur?
2. If I plan to run a 5 external sockets (I have a wide and deep property) do you recommend one double pole isolater say in the utility for each socket or one for the whole thing? That will also be a lot of cabling back to the isolator, maybe put one isolator near each socket (but inside)?
3. Yes running the external sockets back to the consumer unit, but that would probably mean about 30m of extra cable to get around bends in the ceiling etc. Not impossible if all ceilings etc are open, just cost of cable. Would you do this as the preferred option?

Doesn't the internal double pole socket not require a fuse like in fused spur?
It is not a socket, it is a double pole switch.

If I plan to run a 5 external sockets (I have a wide and deep property) do you recommend one double pole isolater say in the utility for each socket or one for the whole thing?

It depends on what the sockets are likely to be used for. If you can accept loss of power to all outdoor sockets when there is a fault on one of the sockets or an appliance then a single isolator would be OK. But consider if you have lights running from one outdoor socket and something in a different socket develops a fault ( kettle lead melts on the barbeque ) then losing lights could create a more serious situation.

Would you do this as the preferred option?
I would have a small sub consumer unit supplied via a sub main from the main consumer unit. This sub main should not have RCD protection. This SCU would have RCBOs feeding the sockets. Maybe one RCBO per socket and/or some RCBOs feeding more than one socket. As above it depends on a risk analysis of the use of the sockets.,

Sorry I meant shouldn't the switch(not a double pole socket) have a fuse (I guess your reply comment is going to be that no light switch has a fuse) but given that these are sockets, any reason they don't have a fuse?

I like the sound of the third option about a sub consumer unit. Would this be positioned outside? Any links you can add so I can visualise this?

Thx.

Sponsored Links
1. What do you mean by active rcd?
An active RCD disconnects when power is removed, and has to be manually switched on again.
Only found in some of the useless RCD sockets and some RCD adaptors. Would never be installed in a consumer unit. You don't need one and your consumer unit won't have them.

2. I'm having my house rewired as part of a renovation.
In that case, put the outside sockets on their own separate circuit.
It's an RCBO in the consumer unit, and a cable that goes from that to the first socket, and then to the second socket and so on, ending at the last socket.
Absolutely no need to have separate consumer units, isolators, fused switches or any other nonsense.

If I plan to run a 5 external sockets

With so many, it makes sense to have a dedicated circuit for outside sockets, with its own RCD or RCBO.

Preferably positioned so it is convenient to get to when you are working in the garden.

IMO it is useful to have an isolator near the door so you can turn the whole lot off when you have finished for the day.

If you have a garden outbuilding where you keep and use power tools, that may be a good place to run a submain with its own CU for indoor and outdoor sockets and lights. The outdoor ones are the more likely to cause trips due to water ingress.

Sorry I meant shouldn't the switch(not a double pole socket) have a fuse (I guess your reply comment is going to be that no light switch has a fuse) but given that these are sockets, any reason they don't have a fuse?
No sockets have individual fuses either. The plugs you put into them have fuses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back