Surge plug socket protection

I fitted a transient voltage surge suppresser (TVSS) into my consumer unit after seeing the damage a lighting strike did to a customers installation who lives a few streets from me. I'm not sure wether it will actually work, and hope I never find out, but it might just make the difference.
If you're talking about a true lightning strike on the supply network, then that's a rather different kettle of fish from the alleged 'surges' against which these devices are claimed to protect. What sort of 'damage to a customer's installation' are you talking about?

Kind Regards, John

Sky box set on fire. Telly written off, RCD exploded that sort of damage! The lightning hit his tv aerial and vaporised the cable into the house!

Sponsored Links
Sky box set on fire. Telly written off, RCD exploded that sort of damage! The lightning hit his tv aerial and vaporised the cable into the house!
Rather as I suspected - a 'real' lightning strike. You don't seriously believe that a 'surge suppressor' (of the type were talking about) would have prevented any of that damage, do you?

Kind Regards, John

There is enough stray capacitive effect in mains network and domestic wiring to quench the majority of voltage spikes created outside the house.

If some electrical item in the house is creating voltage spikes on the mains then it is best practise to quench the spikes at source.

As John said lighting strike is very different and a "surge suppressor" on the mains will not protect the equipment. Often the damage is due to the local ground potential rising a few hundred ( even thousand ) volts above normal and creating massive ( but very short lived ) currents in cables ( such as telephone service ) that run to areas where ground potential was not lifted by the lightning strike.

A ground strike landed about 100 yards from a Fire Station which also had a Fire Service radio station in the building. A few minutes later the control room ( 15 miles away ) got an automatic "Paging TX Fault" alarm. On arrival the engineer found the only fault was in the telephone circuit in the modem where the isolation transformer was visibly scorched. Every other item of equipment in the radio room was OK. Later it was found that some of the the telephone equipment on the direct lines to the control room had also suffered minor damage.

I contacted a person in real life whom I didn't want to bother with such a trivial issue and he said that unless fitting a UPS it wasn't worth it, that it indeed was a marketing scam.

It's a bit of a shock for me.

Sponsored Links
So, you didn't want to believe our input.
Aah well

Even Winston came up with the correct guidance
If you really want to be safe run it off a car battery and inverter. Charge the battery with a cheap charger which won't mind the non existsnt surges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back