Help: Adding an outdoor socket to my garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All :mrgreen:

Thanks for your consideration in helping me. I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to electronics however i am competent at doing my own DIY. I have purchased a Weatherproof Double switched 13A outdoor socket to install on the side of my garage () i have also purchased some 1.5mm 15 Amp 3183Y 3 Core Flexible Cable to wire it into my garage.

My garage had electric sockets and lighting installed by an electrician which ran from the house and connects to my main circuit via some sort of fused boxed, thats about all i know. My question is can i wire this double socket into a plug and just plug it into one of my socket in the garage? Creating some sort of weatherproof extension lead for my garden tools? I don't think i can spur of the garage socket (something i have never done) as i believe this is a spur itself?

thanks for your advice.

Socket Purchased

Cable Purchased

Sponsored Links
My question is can i wire this double socket into a plug and just plug it into one of my socket in the garage?
Yes.
The circuit must be protected by a 30mA RCD, I would think it already is.

I don't think i can spur of the garage socket (something i have never done) as i believe this is a spur itself?
You may be able to but you would ideally need larger cable.
If you want to, can you describe the circuit?
Garage attached to house or remote?
Protective device rating at house, in garage - amps?.
Cable csa - 2.5mm²?
Ring circuit or Radial(line with branches)?
Route of wiring to sockets?

not a spark, but why not get something like this and then drill a hole through the garage for the cable?[/url]

He has already bought some stuff, but as EFLI says, the cable is probably too small and the supply may already have RCD protection..

Sponsored Links
My question is can i wire this double socket into a plug and just plug it into one of my socket in the garage?
You can, but that's really, really horrible.

I don't think i can spur of the garage socket (something i have never done)
You are "competent at doing my own DIY" - I'm sure you can learn to do it.

as i believe this is a spur itself?
If it's an unfused one convert it to fused.

Thanks a lot for your responses, I can't tell you too much about the socket which was installed in my garage or circuit on my house (built 3 years ago) - all i did was dig the cable trench and i know were is comes into the house and there is a small box with a fuse in it were the cable enters /leaves the house.

I thought about buying an RCD to keep on the 13A plug i would be adding however you've described this as horrible so i am suspecting this would not be my best option...

Yes, well. It is some help, I suppose/

It would seem that the dounble socket in the garage is fed from the 13A fused connection unit. In that cast the 1.5mm² cable would be OK, and so will the socket providing the circuit is RCD protected, and we still do not know that.

Those prayer beads might come in handy though :LOL:

Yes, well. It is some help, I suppose/

It would seem that the dounble socket in the garage is fed from the 13A fused connection unit. In that cast the 1.5mm² cable would be OK, and so will the socket providing the circuit is RCD protected, and we still do not know that.

Those prayer beads might come in handy though :LOL:

Ha-ha i will pray that my first go at a spur does not kill me, yes the photos do seem excessively large - i will take a photo of my fuse box and post a more suitable sized image when i get home. Thanks for your response.

So, it seems that all of your circuits are RCD protected.

So, with the garage circuit being supplied through the 13A FCU you will be OK to install that socket using the cable you mentioned.

Do drill out the drain hole in the bottom of the socket back box and silicone well if you are feeding the cable directly into the back of the box.

So, it seems that all of your circuits are RCD protected.

So, with the garage circuit being supplied through the 13A FCU you will be OK to install that socket using the cable you mentioned.

Do drill out the drain hole in the bottom of the socket back box and silicone well if you are feeding the cable directly into the back of the box.

Thank you, i did read on the external socket about the drain holes, can you confirm why this is required and does it not defeat the purpose of a weatherproof unit?

I will be taking the cable into the back of the box so will fully silicone =, thanks for the tips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back