adding sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to install a double socket and a spur for tv and fire ,in my converted garage i have only 1 double socket on a ring \[2 wires in socket], but in the future i need to put lighting and another socket in garage that will be getting built nxt door adjoining existing wall.how do i go about this ?
do i put in a fused spur and take cables from there?
help please
ty

Sponsored Links
Surely you will simply extend the ring to include the new garage and extend the existing light circuit in the current garage on to the new garage?

When you say 'adjoining' I assume you mean that the new garage will be built on the side / end of the existing one- without a path or access gap between them.

not exactly sure if its a ring or radial..theres 2 cables in the socket,,but behind plasterboard ,how do i know if radial or ring ..yes garage is using existing wall.new garage being built in summer, but need sockets in old garage now.

Check at the consumer unit to see how many sets of cables enter the MCB/fuse carrier.

If 1 you definitely have a radial.
If 2 you most probably have a ring circuit but could possibly have a radial with a spur from the MCB...

Checking continuity at the CU is the most accurate way of determining if you have a true ring circuit.

Davy

Sponsored Links
If you have a multimeter and can do a Continuity Test, you should find, at any outlet on a Ring circuit, that the two Reds have continuity, and so do the two Black cores.

If it is a radial then there will not be continuity.

If it is a ring with damage, there may be continuity on one conductor but not the other (so this is a useful test to do whenever you have a socket off).

If it is a weird amateur circuit you never know what you may find.

You cannot use continuity of the G&Y earth conductor as an indicator, as it may have a parallel paths through water pipes or other bonded appliances even if the circuit is not a ring, or is damaged.

If the garage is integral or attached to the house, the socket is quite likely on the ring; but if it is an outbuilding this is unlikely.

davy_owen_88 said:
if 2 you've got a ring circuit....... The first option is easiest and most accurate.

Not necessarily. it could be a radial.

securespark said:
davy_owen_88 said:
if 2 you've got a ring circuit....... The first option is easiest and most accurate.

Not necessarily. it could be a radial.

True. I should have said 'if 2 you've most probably got a ring circuit but could possibly have a radial with a spur from the MCB...

Checking continuity is the most accurate way but that totally slipped my mind when writing my first reply.

Davy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back