Quick question on submains.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a quick question on some wiring.

On a sub main, runs from rcd protected cu, through 4mm armoured from a external weatherproof box on the outside of house to feed external detached garage cu, for a socket and a light. (new build)

Can a new (armoured) cable be run from this external box to feed something else? Like a double socket in the garden? And also if stepped down with a FCU or something, also lights?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
434.2 Position of devices for protection against fault current.

Except where Regulation 434.2.1. 434.2.2 or 434.3 applies, a device providing protection against fault current shall be installed at the point where a reduction in the cross-sectional area or other change causes a reduction in the current-carrying capacity of the conductors of the installation.

If that is complied with I can't see a problem. However a weatherproof distribution unit is not cheap and not too sure if allowed in a domestic.

"for use under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons" is the bit that could cause a problem. We should use consumer units not distribution units in domestic.

Ok, thanks for that.

I know the cable is protected by a 16a mcb, so this would be fine for a double socket.

I was just a little unsure if, what is kinda a radial curcuit, can be split to feed other things? ...as long as the fusing is correct.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back