Submain

S

sjwkmje

Hi All,

I did a job a while back that required me to fit a cu to feed two ring mains and a 16a ceeform all on seperate rcbos. It was easier for me to fit a local submain in the same location as the networking equipment than running new cables to the cu unit location and upgrading the current cu.

I fitted a 9 way crabtree unit at the time signed the work off did the testing. Over time (this was done a year ago) other circuits was added as it was a convient location such as a garage supply and outside ligihting supply all on the rcd side of the splitload cu. The other circuits are on the main switch side.

The earthing arrangement was just a 16mm^2 g/y. Supply is 25mm^2 meter tails via a long run protected by a switch fuse. Split tails arrangement.

Now I have gone back to the job and they want a shower feeding off this cu. Only catch is its going to be covered under 16th edd not 17th edd as its getting inspected soon. If it was 17th edd I would just add the lighting circuit to another rcbo. Of course the shower will be on the rcd side of the cu.

So now I got a shower to fit but what about earthing arrangements on the submain? Do I need to cross bond and run it back to that box including the main water pipe and gas main?

The cu that runs the rest of the house has bonding in place etc.

Adam

Sponsored Links
I take it there is adequace capacity for the shower on the board?
The main equipotential bonding for the water/gas etc should connect to the Main Earthing Terminal of the installation.
If it is to be designed to the 16th you will need to install supplementary bonding too.

I did all the calcs, cable sizing, diversity factor and the load is fine. Originally the circuit was designed to power two ring mains and a network rack but extra capacity was included and cable sizes increased when I installed it. .

The installation has two cu's one feeds the house one feeds the network equipment and additional circuits. At the moment the main cu has bonding for the water/gas etc connected to the earth bar inside that cu.

I will include supplementary bonding when I fit the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back