Non-Picture Of The Week 2!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no pictures, because there isn't a great deal to see.

Went to a property this morning. Main CU, Submain & Extension CU plus extension electrics fitted by NIC spark.

Submain on a D63A breaker in main board, along with several other power circuits (and of course the sub DB feeding kitchen power), all fed via the Main CU's 63A RCD.

Zdb = 0.32 Ohms.

MEB clamp to gas pipe almost off.

Double socket under sink feeding two heavy-load white goods appliances.

Sub DB fed from RCD in main split-load CU, so there is no segregation of extension lighting from the RCD.

Sponsored Links
D63????

(240/(20x63))x0.8=0.15 ohms which is a very low figure to get on any system!! (unless you have your own substation!!)

Surely a type C would have been more than adequate for a domestic submains :rolleyes:

A type B would have been even better as you would hope that there would not be one single appliance that needs a 63A breaker to need 10x In for instantaneous trip in a domestic environment.
Even something with a surge should be small enough to not take out a 63A type B (Unless of course you have some serious welding kit)

Sponsored Links
I have no pictures, because there isn't a great deal to see.

Went to a property this morning. Main CU, Submain & Extension CU plus extension electrics fitted by NIC spark.

Submain on a D63A breaker in main board, along with several other power circuits (and of course the sub DB feeding kitchen power), all fed via the Main CU's 63A RCD.

Zdb = 0.32 Ohms.

MEB clamp to gas pipe almost off.

Double socket under sink feeding two heavy-load white goods appliances.

Sub DB fed from RCD in main split-load CU, so there is no segregation of extension lighting from the RCD.

did you condemn the istallation?

I'm curious to know what happens if a spark is called to a property and finds what you've found. Does he refuse to carry out the installation
requested by the customer (ie fancy light fitting)?

In my case, I was only replacing a damaged light switch, LFL. But, the form was written.....ran out of space, as usual.... :evil:

I suggested the customer call back the original spark and ask him to explain his work. Also, why he had only supplied test results for the submain board, not the main CU he also changed.

He got 0.32 Ohms for the Zdb, too. More than double...

And, as you say, WHY a D type?

And why ONE 63A RCD feeding this lot?:

3 x 32A rings

1 x 20A radial

1 x 63A 16mm² submain (which then feeds)

1 x 32A Cooker circuit (large range with 3 ovens)

2 x 32A socket outlets, including all white goods & kitchen appliances (washer, dryer, dishwasher, kettle, Dualit 24,000 slice toaster, Combi microwave, 3 x UFH)

1 x 20A radial

1 x 16A immersion

1 x 6A lighting circuit

That's NOT good design, by any stretch of the imagination.

All this by an NIC spark who signed the form himself as the QS...

And the moral of the story is that a good amateur can do a better job than a bad professional. Unfortunately, a bad professional can issue an EIC whereas a good amateur can't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back