Arrrghh! No Camera!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I knew as soon as I left the house without my K800i that it would be a good day for pictures.

And yet more mails in the coffin of my opinion of the NIC.

Went to inspect a domestic install today in a very smart area of Cheshire, footballers & all that...the customer was expecting a clean bill of health as he had had "a senior NICEIC inspector" to replace the fuseboard.

It was a wee bit odd in that the PME intake was in a detached garage. This then went (in 16mm² tails) to a large metal Bill 100A isolator, then onto a fuse cabinet feeding two heating contactors & timeclocks and a hefty run of galv trunking.

This was all quite badly corroded.

The MEB to the gas was undersized & on the cast supply pipe.

There was no visible MEB to the water pipe.

The sub-main to the house was run in PVC coated MICC., with no visible means of fusing down or isolation at the supply end.

The MICC was terminated into a metalclad CU (into an oversized hole)with no banjo oe additional earthing conductor (is the sheath of 6/10mm² MICC sufficient to be used as the supply earth?).

There was no sign of any EIC and there were loads of small scary bits like a external flex to a pump that was so perished, the cpc & neutral were exposed & a conduit box lid missing in the garage, with exposed connectors hanging out of it. And a high Zs in the kitchen, too.

This "NIC inspector" had changed the board having noticed the bonding was up the creek, commented to the householder that is was wrong, but had gone ahead with the work anyway...

The other job was a board change & new DB in the garage done by an NIC DI, all nicely labelled up with "NICEIC DI" stickers and marked "DB1" and "DB2".

But no EIC, no name, address or phone number.

The RCD incomer board in the house had two 32A breakers feeding 3x 2.5 radials, 2 on one and one on the other. There was no MEB to the water.

The garage DB was fed in 1.5mm² SWA (from one of the 32A breakers), and the SWA was just poked into the CU, with the conductors showing on the outside.
This was a pic I took on a previous visit:

SWAMeetsConsumerUnit.jpg

Good, hey? ;)

Sponsored Links
And these fellas get to decide if WE are up to standard!!!!!

We need his name and he needs to be dragged through the system, sent for retraining.

How does this prevent cowboys if the checker who checks the work is a flaming cowboy himself!!!

how do we know it was true?

I'm the Duke of Edinburgh.

Sponsored Links
It would appear their choice of contractor was just as bad as their choice of wallpaper :D

how do we know it was true?

Fair comment. But I spoke to the customer today who gave me the name of the chap involved. I cannot say more, only that the matter is being taken further.

As for the second job, the DI is being sought. The buyers of the house (just completed) are in touch with the solicitors of the vendors to get hold of the invoice for the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back