second supply taken from cu incoming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
been to a property today to do a pir, on visual inspection of the garage( the garage had a dedicated metal clad cu suppling two circuits, these were lighting and power circuits) a second cable (swa) is taken from the incoming tails of the cu to an out-house with another cu supplying two circuits, again power and lighting. is this deemed acceptable ? plenty of room for conductors in garage cu incoming with supply cable being 6mm swa, same cable as second supply to out-house. supply to garage is taken from meter henley block, opinions welcome please,

Sponsored Links
been to a property today to do a pir, on visual inspection of the garage( the garage had a dedicated metal clad cu suppling two circuits, these were lighting and power circuits) a second cable (swa) is taken from the incoming tails of the cu to an out-house with another cu supplying two circuits, again power and lighting. is this deemed acceptable ? plenty of room for conductors in garage cu incoming with supply cable being 6mm swa, same cable as second supply to out-house. supply to garage is taken from meter henley block, opinions welcome please,

There's nothing wrong with terminating two 6mm cables into the incoming main isolator in a CU provided they are secure. Shouldn't you be more worried about the fact that you've found 6mm taken directly from a henley block with no mention of any kind of switchfuse? That means the only protection to that 6mm cable is the 60/80/100A suppliers fuse, and that definitely is not acceptable.

Sponsored Links
that's what I thought, I edidted mine when i saw other people reply's and i thought it was me that read it wrong! :D

It is definitely not acceptable to have that like it is as the only protection it's got is the 60-100 amp cutout fuse!! :eek:

Just a small point - if the SWA is terminated into the Henley block, has the wire sheath been earthed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back