Separate circuit direct from supply to bypass main CU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t understand why you think you need to connect wires into the main switch or RCD.

As you’ve been advised many times already, you need to employ an electrician to do this work for you.

You have no idea what you are doing and some of your proposals involve working on live wiring which is just downright idiotic.

I rarely discourage people from DIY, but I genuinely fear you are going to end up injuring yourself if you carry on with this project.

Sponsored Links
I don’t understand why you think you need to connect wires into the main switch or RCD.

As you’ve been advised many times already, you need to employ an electrician to do this work for you.

You have no idea what you are doing and some of your proposals involve working on live wiring which is just downright idiotic.

I rarely discourage people from DIY, but I genuinely fear you are going to end up injuring yourself if you carry on with this project.

Sponsored Links
The main live and neutral wires which go into the two RCDs? So I could take the wires from the top of the RCD?
Yes, but the point is that you did not know this.

Anyway, you will have to test an RCBO before you connect the circuit to it so you might just as well get an electrician to do the job.

Yes, but the point is that you did not know this.

Anyway, you will have to test an RCBO before you connect the circuit to it so you might just as well get an electrician to do the job.

Thanks. I’m not planning on putting a RCBO/RCD on the new circuit just a MCB. Don’t want it to trip you see.

Thanks. I’m not planning on putting a RCBO/RCD on the new circuit just a MCB. Don’t want it to trip you see.

No.

You want it to not trip when there is a fault elsewhere in the house.
You DO want it to trip when there is a fault in the door opener itself. Otherwise, you might touch the door and get a shock!

It may also be a legal requirement that there is an RCD.

No.

You want it to not trip when there is a fault elsewhere in the house.
You DO want it to trip when there is a fault in the door opener itself. Otherwise, you might touch the door and get a shock!

It may also be a legal requirement that there is an RCD.

Great thanks for the guidance. I see that’s a good idea now

Here's a thought - I don't think it has been mentioned, has it?.

What if it is the garage door that causes the tripping?

Since I don't like spending money when I don't need to, I would be looking at fitting a RCBO either to reduce tripping or to ensure when it trips the garage door still works.

However I don't have a Eaton consumer unit so could not give a step by step instructions, but to fit one RCBO should not be that expensive, so there are many ways to cure the problem, and it could be with the right test equipment the cure could end up very simple.

So would agree in this case likely better to get some one who can test and do the job without putting anyone in danger. It may also work out cheaper.

If I am reading this right, you asked a question on the forum, you got answers you did not like, so have decided to do your own thing anyway, but would like some one to suggest how best to ignore all you have been told? So my question why did you ever bother starting a thread asking for advice if you have not intention of following any advice given?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back