Separate circuit direct from supply to bypass main CU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Here you go guys...

I can just take a new cable out of the top of the main switch to a new small CU with a 32A MCB to just power the garage door.

Attachments

• 706762FF-04C4-4D1A-9CCC-2BBCCEF73C6E.jpeg
    706762FF-04C4-4D1A-9CCC-2BBCCEF73C6E.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 225
  • B5B0127C-A88E-4E45-869C-05BB6DB41FA1.jpeg
    B5B0127C-A88E-4E45-869C-05BB6DB41FA1.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 58E81B0D-09F1-4290-9B7D-D4F7DC213B8D.jpeg
    58E81B0D-09F1-4290-9B7D-D4F7DC213B8D.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 3ED56ABF-554E-40DA-8375-E921B19FBCA9.jpeg
    3ED56ABF-554E-40DA-8375-E921B19FBCA9.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 195
Sponsored Links
I can just take a new cable out of the top of the main switch to a new small CU with a 32A MCB to just power the garage door.

NO YOU CAN’T.

Please stop. You don’t know what you’re doing, you can’t follow the most basic of instructions, and this is potentially dangerous.

Ok if you are saying that. Any way of adding a new MCB to my current CU that’s not protected by the RCBs?

I after having a house with just two RCD's think there are not fit for purpose with a home with even just 8 circuits, never mind 11 circuits, and even more so when you need to leave the house to reset them. And this I think is your main problem, not the garage door being electric.

This house all RCBO's I have had one or two trip, lost sockets and shower local to consumer unit, but not main house, and I did not even realise they had tripped until daughter visited, I have never needed to leave the main house to reset a RCBO. To reset the central heating boiler yes, and I am looking at logistics of internal stairs so the 4 rooms under main house are more usable.

But back to your problem, I would swap the 5 right hand MCB's for RCBO's and rearrange the consumer unit so essential services are RCBO protected, but at £30 each that is not cheap, and looking at Screwfix Eaton RCBO's it seems they are type AC, and with a different make you can get RCBO's type AC for £10 each so it does not seem to be worth swapping to RCBO's better to swap whole consumer unit, however that work needs registering so your looking at £500 plus to not have to on the odd time the RCD trips and you have not opened the garage door before the battery goes flat.

I suppose I am just as bad, I have a remote control to turn bedroom lights on/off, so I can control them without getting out of bed, but I use that every night and it did not cost £500.

Ok if you are saying that. Any way of adding a new MCB to my current CU that’s not protected by the RCBs?
Sorry today must be RCD protected, no option, also must be 30 mA and 40 mS no option, there are RCD's which trip between 50% and 100% (standard) and 90% and 100% (Eaton X-Pole) which also has a warning when getting near to the tripping current. But in the main the way to stop it tripping is to divide into more circuits using RCBO's. So in my house with 14 RCBO's I could have 210 mA to earth where you can only have 30 mA to earth without exceeding the 50%. And if any one RCBO does trip, I only loose that circuit.

It is all down to doing it on the cheap, some one at some time when fitting your consumer unit decided it was not worth the extra money to have all RCBO's and now you no longer agree with their money saving measures.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. Cost is not an issue so would it be easy for me to change one side to RCBOs? Suppose id have to wire out the current RCB?

But you do not know how to do it and certainly won't have the necessary equipment.

Even after being told how to do your initial proposal, which is a very simple job, you still have not grasped what to do.

If you are that interested, study what is required and when you don't need to ask any more questions, you will be able to do it yourself.

Ok thanks

Nor sure what the point of the forum is if people can’t ask questions and learn.

I’ll give it a go and work it out...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back