Separate circuit direct from supply to bypass main CU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My CU (Split - RCD protected) is in my garage which has an electric door, so when the main CU trips I can't open the door electronically which is a pain as I need to get in the garage to reset the trip!

So what I want is a separate 1 gang CU that takes it supply direct from the incoming supply and is totally separate from the main CU, which will then be only used to power the garage door. So this means when the house CU trips, the garage door will still be powered on the separate supply.

Now can I just open up my main CU, find the incoming supply cables and run a new cable from them to supply a new separate new CU box? My main CU has a main switch in the outside box so I can safely isolate the main CU supply side while working on it.

Any advice, tips etc? I'd like to do the work as much as I can as i've done plenty of electrical work before and have multimeters etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does your CU not have any spare none-RCD ways? Picture?

Doubling up off the main switch terminals is not ideal, you can easily end up witha poor connection if you are not careful, better to split with henley blocks.

Notifiable work, also

Now can I just open up my main CU, find the incoming supply cables and run a new cable from them to supply a new separate new CU box?
Take the supply from the Main Switch load side (bottom) so that the switch also switches off the new circuit.

...and - be careful.

Does your CU not have any spare none-RCD ways? Picture?

Doubling up off the main switch terminals is not ideal, you can easily end up witha poor connection if you are not careful, better to split with henley blocks.

Notifiable work, also

It does have spare ways but Im assuming everything goes through the RCDs? Could I add a new MCB that is not protected by the RCD/Main switch in there?

Sponsored Links
Take the supply from the Main Switch load side (bottom) so that the switch also switches off the new circuit.

...and - be careful.

Yer i was thinking that. So just add my new cables to the supply side of the main switch? That ok to do?

Will be careful, checking for dead and turned off at main switch before CU in the outside box.

Can we have a picture of your CU?. Ideally without cover as well (switch off with isolator in meter box before removing cover, and don't turn back on until it is refitted)

So just add my new cables to the supply side of the main switch? That ok to do?

No No No

by which I mean:

NO, do not connect your cables to the main switch - you need an MCB.
NO, do not connect anything to the supply side of the main switch.
NO, don’t do any of this yourself; your posts demonstrate a lack of sufficient understanding to do this safely, even with help from the forum.

Last edited:
No No No

by which I mean:

NO, do not connect your cables to the main switch - you need an MCB.
NO, do not connect anything to the supply side of the main switch.
NO, don’t do any of this yourself; your posts demonstrate a lack of sufficient understanding to do this safely, even with help from the forum.

Thanks but I think I can do it safely.

No problem. Will get pic in morning for you.

It’s very rare it trips but just a massive pain when it does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back