Separate circuit direct from supply to bypass main CU

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is so easy to make a mistake, so "no from the bottom" was referring to where wires come out of the consumer unit, not out of the MCB, but "with the bus bar" clearly shows you had not realised what was being said, not totally your fault as clearly a bit missed, however it is far too easy to make mistakes like that, and clearly since you questioned it, you realised there was an error.

However I have done it far too often, some one at work has asked how do I do XYZ and maybe months latter I visit the house, and what I had intended them to do was not what they did, as to if I had not explained well enough or they had not understood does not matter, they had got it wrong.

From what has been said already I would say safer if you get it done for you.

Sponsored Links
It is so easy to make a mistake, so "no from the bottom" was referring to where wires come out of the consumer unit, not out of the MCB,
No, it wasn't.

It was where to connect wires to the main switch - and not the first time it was said.

Nor sure what the point of the forum is if people can’t ask questions and learn.

This is one of the few cases where the best advice the forum can give is “don’t try to do this yourself”.

Do feel free to ask if you have other projects in mind that do not involve modifying your consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
I’ll give it a go and work it out...

Look, if you are going to try and “give it a go” anyway despite our advice, do please post photos of what you’re doing. We will tell you if you’re doing something dangerous.

Don’t do this on your own. Have someone nearby, preferably with first-aid training and a fire extinguisher. And a phone, which doesn’t rely on your mains electricity being on to function. And make sure there is a working fire alarm in the garage.

Nor sure what the point of the forum is if people can’t ask questions and learn

You've asked questions, and should have learnt that there is a limit to what a DIYer can do on electrics without proper test equipment, and without breaking the law

Look, if you are going to try and “give it a go” anyway despite our advice, do please post photos of what you’re doing. We will tell you if you’re doing something dangerous.

Don’t do this on your own. Have someone nearby, preferably with first-aid training and a fire extinguisher. And a phone, which doesn’t rely on your mains electricity being on to function. And make sure there is a working fire alarm in the garage.

Don’t worry I’ll be nice and safe. Just don’t understand why I’d not connect my new wires to the top of the main switch with the screw connection, rather than messing about trying to get them to sit in the clipped in bar on the bottom of the switch?

Please help me to understand if you can :)

Because you are supposed to have one switch that will turn off everything - hence the name Main Switch.

The bottom has screws as well.

I have told you to connect the new cable to the bottom of the main switch - which is correct for the above reason - but there is a way of doing this without actually accessing the bottom of the main switch. Can you work out how?

Because you are supposed to have one switch that will turn off everything - hence the name Main Switch.

The bottom has screws as well.

I have told you to connect the new cable to the bottom of the main switch - which is correct for the above reason - but there is a way of doing this without actually accessing the bottom of the main switch. Can you work out how?

OK thanks for clearing that up for me. Makes sense. Way of doing it without accessing main switch? No sorry I’m not sure, could you expand please?

I didn’t see the screws, I though it was just clipped on to the bottom bar.

Here's a clue - the main switch is on the right on this CU and no supply yet.

upload_2020-11-15_17-43-18.png

Thanks. By connecting them to the bars at the top? But I can only see the neutral and earth bars? Live will still have to come from the bottom of the switch?

The main live and neutral wires which go into the two RCDs? So I could take the wires from the top of the RCD?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back