Outbuilding electrical supply.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I recently moved house where there was a run down garage. We had this removed and had a summer house installed in its place. The original garage had an electrical supply that comes out the main CU in the house. It looks to be 2 core 2.5mm SWA. It comes off a 15A breaker at the main CU.

The distance from the main CU and the summer house is roughly 12-15m. The old garage had multiple sockets along with some lighting.

Would I need to upgrade the cable size if I wanted to run a tv, few sockets, heater and lighting on the new outbuilding?

Would I also need to add a garage CU in the summer house to run my new circuits from?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The heater is the only item which could push the load over 13 amp, if the heater is no more than 2 kW you can likely get away with a 13 amp supply or the original 16 amp supply. For lights 16 amp is max, and normally we would want 6 amp, but a switched fused connection unit (FCU) as the light switch will allow lights to be 3 amp fused. So no real need for a consumer unit (CU).

This wiring matters from IET goes further into the requirements the problem arises putting power into a metal building, with wood no real problem.

The heater is the only item which could push the load over 13 amp, if the heater is no more than 2 kW you can likely get away with a 13 amp supply or the original 16 amp supply.

The 16amp, could probably be swapped to a 20amp, to allow a bit more headroom.

The 16amp, could probably be swapped to a 20amp, to allow a bit more headroom.
That would be a good idea, but over 13 amp we are looking at a consumer unit, and the need to register fitting it. In Wales it would be work in a special area (the garden) so would need it anyway, but the requirement was removed in England, I wonder if I fitted an old Wylex fuse box in a garage would it need registering?

One could argue all the circuits were there before in the old location, and it is not a consumer unit. But if anything went wrong could not see a court being impressed, basic 13 amp DIY over 13 amp needs a scheme member.

Sponsored Links
That would be a good idea, but over 13 amp we are looking at a consumer unit ...
Why?

20A radials usually have more than one socket, without any intervening "CU". Lighting can be supplied via an FCU(with,in an outhouse, a switched FCU often used as 'the light switch').

Kind Regards, John

20A radials usually have more than one socket, without any intervening "CU". Lighting can be supplied via an FCU(with,in an outhouse, a switched FCU often used as 'the light switch').

Or even via a switched 13amp socket, plug and lead - which is how garden hut is lit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back