External Supply

Hi,
Thank you.

So run 2 2.5mm SWA's from the IP rated box instead of running from one to the next in series?
I could do, I have enough cable. The summer house was originally run off a fused spur from the ring main.
Doing that I would still require a garage/shed unit in both the shed and summer house?

Sponsored Links
However what i dont like is the 32A mcb, protecting the 2.5mm2 conductors in the distibution circuit. 30 Amps could be drawn which is too much for the operating temperature of the conductors
That would clearly not be acceptable. My understanding was that the 2.5mm² cable was going to be protected by a 20A MCB.

Kind Regards, John.

Yes John, the 2.5swa from shed to summer house will be on a 20A mcb.
The supply to the shed will be a 6mm SWA.
The shed supply will be the one that sees the most action - circular saw etc. The summer house will be occasional use of the running machine, 2 lights and a couple sockets for either a low heater to prevent paint freezing or charging batteries that is all.

Are you aware of the legal requirements of what you propose to do?
If not take a look here...
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p[/QUOTE]
Ask your electrician as he is the one who has to take responsibility for the design, installation and testing of your proposed works !
General knowledge is useful up to a point - but what you're asking goes beyond that and into circuit design. Which from your initial questions and subsequent answers you should leave to the electrician you intend to hire.
Get three quotations and discuss your options with the electrician.
Thank you all for your help, in the realms of a little over me so off to get hold of an electrician and let him/her come up with the plan.
Yes John, the 2.5swa from shed to summer house will be on a 20A mcb.
The supply to the shed will be a 6mm SWA.
The shed supply will be the one that sees the most action - circular saw etc. The summer house will be occasional use of the running machine, 2 lights and a couple sockets for either a low heater to prevent paint freezing or charging batteries that is all.
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hmmm see what you mean! Well I have an electrician coming over tomorrow evening to run through and have a look.
He said he has no problems me running the cables and marking up what i want where and for what use once we have run through but he will do all the connections and notifying.

He said he has no problems me running the cables and marking up what i want where and for what use once we have run through but he will do all the connections and notifying.
Then absolutely every single question you have asked here, or in the future think you'll ask here, can only be asked of him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back