garage electrics please,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had someone come to look at my garage electrics & he is saying as i dont have a spareway in my cu in house he will have to put a 4 way unit in with main swith & breaker then run in armoured to the garage then into another cu with rcd & a couple of breakers to work lights & sockets,

does this sound about right, thanks,

Sponsored Links
yes.

although a one way would be fine, but does not allow for any expansion in the house

yes.

although a one way would be fine, but does not allow for any expansion in the house

thanks for reply, i dont really need anything extra in house although would it be better to have a larger main cu in house you think, ?

yes, you may not want something else today but what about next year, say garden lights or a pond.

Idealy it would be better to change the whole existing CU to a bigger one

Sponsored Links
yes, you may not want something else today but what about next year, say garden lights or a pond.

Idealy it would be better to change the whole existing CU to a bigger one

thanks again for the fast reply, say if i go for the cheaper option as first posted would i save any money if he just fitted a one way enclosure with a breaker in from house or does it need a main switch aswell in there,

i thought maybe he was adding this for extra cost, thanks,

as it's outside electrics then a "shower" addition might be the best bet ( a 45A double pole RCD in its own enclosure..

but as stated this does not allow for future expansion..

as seen on this page, the shower unit is about 30 quid whilst a 5 way board with DP isolator is about 15.. plus a breaker at about a fiver or a RCB at about 25..

You will need a main switch and MCB to protect the new cable.

The difference in price between a 1 way enclosure and a 4 way eclosure is likely to only be a couple of pounds. It is a good idea to fit a bigger CU than you actually require.

I seem to remember there is a reg which states that you must leave 10% of the ways as spares. (eg a 10 way or less CU needs at least 1 spare, and a 50 way CU needs at least 5 spare ways)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back