Consumer Unit Install Question

securespark said:
Imagine you are the customer and someone like you who is not entirely clear exactly how he should be tackling the job turns up. What would you be thinking?
I think that Booyaka is trying to establish exactly how he is going to do the job before he gets there & you can't knock him for that, it is only the same as you & I finding out info about products we are unfamiliar with. He seems to have the knowledge to do the work safely &is trying to do that as far as I can see.

Sponsored Links
steady on :)

the heating is a seperate feed from the main incoming. at present its on its own switched fused spur sitting next to the CU.

ok heres what i mean. i was hoping to have one CU. all on one din rail

from left to right

Main switch then MCBs, RCD then MCBS, then another main switch (bought Seperately) added to the din rail (after the RCD MCBs) then a 63A MCB for the economy 7. if this is not correct shall i just keep the economy 7 switched fused spur seperate? as it wouldnt be worth getting a dual CU for one MCB

many thanks guys (oh and yet again all will be supervised im trying to gain the advice first "Intiative" :)

jj4091, thats exactly what i am trying to establish, cheers mate for your support

im just unfamiliar with the economy 7 part of it and what im allowed to do with it

cheers again

the heating is a seperate feed from the main incoming. at present its on its own switched fused spur sitting next to the CU.
right im hoping the pics come up now, thanks for the links etc, the seperate switch fused spur for the economy 7 is the grey one under neath

SP_A0024.jpg

SP_A0017.jpg

SP_A0030.jpg

ok heres what i mean. i was hoping to have one CU. all on one din rail

from left to right

Main switch then MCBs, RCD then MCBS, then another main switch (bought Seperately) added to the din rail (after the RCD MCBs) then a 63A MCB for the economy 7. if this is not correct shall i just keep the economy 7 switched fused spur seperate? as it wouldnt be worth getting a dual CU for one MCB

many thanks guys (oh and yet again all will be supervised im trying to gain the advice first "Intiative"

Sponsored Links
There are no fused spurs in your picture.

there are three consumer units.

The single grey thing looks like it may be a fused main switch. It looks like a MEM 800KMF switchfuse, though it is fairly unusual to use one of these as a main switch (a 100A DP switch, unfused, is more usual).

It might also be used to control a single large circuit or submain. If it is used for the Economy 7 supply then there ought to be a CU having several fuses or MCBs fed from it, as E7 heaters are usually run on individual 15A/16A radials.

The tails are all hidden, I presume inside the plasterboard wall. Suppliers do not like tails to be hidden, as it leads to people drilling and nailing into them.

It would be interesting to see the meter(s) and service head, and cables around them.

There is a complete absence of identifying labels. These should be fitted immediately, no need to wait until new CUs are installed.

its being used for the economy 7 it has an 80Amp fuse in it, and 10mm tails in and 10 mm tails out feeding a boiler that heats up overnight

the two in the left i can just include on the unprotected side if my new CU but i dont know what to do with the economy 7 CU.

It is usual to have a separate CU for the E7 circuits.

When you say a boiler, do you mean a Water Heater?

Is it an ordinary cylinder with an immersion heater, or what?

i have been told it heats up a boiler full of the usual bricks then water passes through the boiler and heats the radiators around the house, thae house has no gas all electric

ok so do you think this is not ok below?

from left to right

OK, this is a less common method of heating, see if you can find the rating plate and see what its needs are. The make and model will be useful. A lot of people have never seen one of these in a domestic installation.

I wouldn't bother with a dual tariff CU.

They are expensive and unusual.

They can also become unexpectedly live (through the timeswitch) when you are working on them.

The switchfuse will do if you only have one large appliance. But check that the fuse fitted is appropriate to the rating plate.

or would it be easier just to leave that MEM there and make it flush?

ok is making more sense now, so just to clarify, if i get one big CU and have the main tails coming in to the main swtich then have the MCBs next to it, then have my RCD with its MCBs next to it, then another Main switch with the economy 7 coming into it and next to that my 63A MCB load for the econmy 7 tails out

EG one din rail, one CU

MS/MCBs/RCD/MCBs/MS(EC7)/MCB(EC7)

You seem determined to put both tariffs into one CU.

I wouldn't.

And if you have the right size fuse in the 800KMF you don't need an MCB as well.

yeah thats what im talking about i need the advice on this whether im breaking any rules putting those tarriffs together, if its not advisable then i definately wont

what would you do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back