Consumer Unit Install Question

the reason why i ask is because i do consider myself a perfectionist and i want to make it look the best it can, i will install the new CU and make it flush like the old one this will incluse the two fused CUs on the left as they are feeding small circuits (cooker and smoke alarm) i just dont know what to do with the EC7 switched fused CU. do i get a new one? or keep that one and make it flush too?

plus you are right about the tails, obviously the person before has built a false wall to hide everything

Sponsored Links
I would have them separate.

Instead of plasterboarding over, I would do for a hinged door. It can be wallpapered if you like to blend it in. Then the cables will be visible and accessible when the door is opened.

If the small CUs are fed from the same tails and tariff as the big one, you can include those circuits on your new CU. Alarm and cooker s/b non-RCD side.

Unless the E7 heater really needs 80A, get a lower value fuse to suit - they do 45A, 50A, 60A, 80A (if you find it difficult, ask MEM on 08700 545 333)

also do you think its best just to keep the old Single CU for the EC7 and just make it flush? theres nothing wrong with it, or to make it look more tidy get one thats the same make as the new CCU i buy or colour etc,

plus i think i have a bit of a problem with the tails, they are 16mm if the guy doesnt go with the hinged door im going to have to tell him the wall will be messed with and a new piece of plaster board will have to be fitted

Sponsored Links
I would strongly recommend that you get your mate to come and advise you what to use, and how to install it. You are charging somebody for this work, but are not experienced enough to do it on your own.

I know it's catch-22 - can't get work because you don't have experince and can't get experience because you can't get work, but I'd look to work with your mate. The courses are not enough on their own to get you to the level where you can take on any job. This comes with the courses AND the practical experience gained in the field (and you learn so much from other sparks).

As an aside, you are not really considering throwing away a CU because it doesn't match your new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back