2 tier roads?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another step in the segregation of the UK into a haves and have nots society. The poor get shoved onto congested local roads whilst the rich sail along on wide empty roads.

Interesting that they sell this to us by telling us "local" users will be better off, a saving no doubt absorbed into the next road tax hike.

I wonder if the poorer road users will get a refund for the roads they've already paid to build.

No doubt the cost of this will all triple and then some by the time large IT companies have developed the kit to manage it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20122355

We'll be expected to below stairs soon.

Sponsored Links
Problem I can see is , I don't know when I'll be using a motorway next. Could be this week, maybe next week perhaps not for a few months. There must be thousands of motorists like me, who just don't know when they are going to be using motorways. Do I pay the lower rate, then get charged a percentage extra if and when I use a motorway? OR (as I suspect) I'll use the bloody motorway once and have to pay the higher tier tax rate for the pleasure of doing so?
It's a money making racket.

Stick the duty on fuel up - the less you use the less you pay. Simples. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Here's an innovative approach - Reduce the number of vehicles on our roads by not letting any more foreigners in.

:evil:

Better get used to it - the price will rise and rise and rise...

Both you and I know , Joe that year after year, Chancellors have stood up in the House of Commons on budget day, telling the nation, "I want to keep inflation down as low as possible.".......... Then the first thing they do is put fuel duty up. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I don't have an issue with privatised roads as such, (2/3 of Sweden's roads are privatised for instance).

What I do have is an issue with the government taking 30 billion in road tax and fuel duty, spending 10 billion on the roads, and then saying "we need private investment".

GTFO.

There should be no road pricing in this country, everyone who pays road tax duty should be entitled to use any road.
Every vehicle that uses our roads should pay, there should be no concessions for the so called green cars they should pay the same duty as everyone else, that is how the government could re-coupe some cash.
The private section of the M6 toll road, in my opinion should have been boycotted from the start.

Wotan

Have they said anywhere how they intend to operate this? How will they stop people who haven't got a 'motorway tax disc' from using the motorway? Are they going to have patrols on all slip-roads checking people's tax discs? Or will you just get fined IF you're caught using a motorway when you haven't paid 'motorway tax'?

I'm in the same boat as joinerjohn - I probably use a motorway once every two months at the absolute most - I suspect its an all or nothing situation - you pay for the whole year, or you don't use motorways even once.

Sponsored Links
Back