2 tier roads?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really matter what name they give to it, they will continue to tax us as much as they think they can get away with. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying taxes so long as the income from them is used wisely. For example, I cannot see any wisdom in taxing us to the hilt only to send millions to third world African countries who use the resource to provide a better lifestyle for their leaders and to fund internals wars. Nor do we need expensive QUANGOs, which we seem to have retained despite government promises to the contrary. I'm afraid the UK seems to be a world leader in wastage.

Some years ago, we drove from Calais to the south of France avoiding any toll roads (to save money - we are from Yorkshire!), and found the roads both clear and quick. Unfortunately, we could not possibly have travelled a similar distance in this country, without using motorways, in the same manner. We should have invested more in our roads and transport infrastructure decades ago when we had the money to do so.

I personally think these so called "Green" vehicles, should in fact attract a higher rate of road tax. Given that they use a lot less fuel, meaning less money for the treasury in fuel duty.
They still cause the same wear and tear to road surfaces as regular cars, meaning the same surface repairs are needed, but with less money coming in. ;) ;)

It doesn't really matter what name they give to it, they will continue to tax us as much as they think they can get away with.

Who is 'they' and 'why'? :confused:

Sponsored Links
"They" is obviously the government. Who else?

Driving on the continent is stress free. Providing you know where you are going.
Drove a HGV (thats a big 40 tonner) from Lustanau near Switzerland up through the heart of Germany back to the boat.
(Was then offered the job on that run though still turned it down as it scared the sh@t out of me.)
Less population = less traffic.
Simples.

The government doesn't have any money, they collect taxes to pay the bills. The childish notion that governments keep the money raised is bizarre. :rolleyes:

The government doesn't have any money, they collect taxes to pay the bills. The childish notion that governments keep the money raised is bizarre. :rolleyes:

Where has anyone suggested the government keeps the money?

They are masters of prolifigate wastefulness. Partly kept in check now because the gravy train is heading for the buffers.

Have they said anywhere how they intend to operate this? How will they stop people who haven't got a 'motorway tax disc' from using the motorway? Are they going to have patrols on all slip-roads checking people's tax discs? Or will you just get fined IF you're caught using a motorway when you haven't paid 'motorway tax'?

I'm in the same boat as joinerjohn - I probably use a motorway once every two months at the absolute most - I suspect its an all or nothing situation - you pay for the whole year, or you don't use motorways even once.

Nothing like actually reading the article, is there?

I personally think these so called "Green" vehicles, should in fact attract a higher rate of road tax. Given that they use a lot less fuel, meaning less money for the treasury in fuel duty.
They still cause the same wear and tear to road surfaces as regular cars, meaning the same surface repairs are needed, but with less money coming in. ;) ;)

I've thought about this exact idea. Uneconomical cars should actually pay less road tax because it'll be recouped on fuel duty. zero road tax is quite posibly the most stupid, ill thought out tax idea the government have ever had

It doesn't really matter what name they give to it, they will continue to tax us as much as they think they can get away with.

Who is 'they' and 'why'? :confused:

The government doesn't have any money, they collect taxes to pay the bills. The childish notion that governments keep the money raised is bizarre. icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh dear. Are you a friend of that Freddymercury character?

"They" is obviously the government. Who else?

Driving on the continent is stress free. Providing you know where you are going.
Drove a HGV (thats a big 40 tonner) from Lustanau near Switzerland up through the heart of Germany back to the boat.
(Was then offered the job on that run though still turned it down as it scared the sh@t out of me.)
Less population = less traffic.
Simples.

I found the direction signs in France very clear. As you say, you need to know where you are going but, using a good road map, my better half kept an eye on where we were and the next town on our route.

Sponsored Links
Back