2, two way pullcord switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I fell off my stepup holding the first of my two way pullcord switches in my hand. I'd loosened the screws and, of course, I now don't know where they go back. . It's a three core and earth system.

The second pullcord switch has the brown cable connected to COM, the grey cable to L1 and the black cable to L2. (The earth is to the earth connection).

I think what is confusing me is that I have the live and neutral cables coming in to the first pull cord switch, making 5 active cables in all. I've tried quite a few combinations without success.

I'd appreciate some help, please.

Sponsored Links
I think what is confusing me is that I have the live and neutral cables coming in to the first pull cord switch, making 5 active cables in all.
Unlikely.

L & N don't like being put into single pole switches - they fight.

What you'll have will be a twin & earth switch cable with a permanent live and a switched live, and a 3-core & earth running to the other switch.

I'd appreciate some help, please.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting

The 3 core connects into the same terminals on both switches, at the 'second switch' connect 'the grey cable to L1 and the black cable to L2.'

NB the blck cable is not a neutral its a live switchline.

All the cores should be sleeved with brown id and don't forget to connect the earths.

Beat me to it (but i would normally put the brown of the 3c into the common terminals of each pullswitch) doesnt matter which way round you connect black or grey into L1 & L2

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies. I've studies the 'electrics: two way lighting' as linked and it gradually became clearer.

I'll have another go tomorrow, and this time I'll stay up on the step.

I'll let you know how I get on.

All is well now. If you lived near me I'd buy you a pint. And let you turn my garage lighting on and off.

Stick around, please, as I may need you in the future,

bludger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back