resiting a two way pullcord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and a Happy new year. I've had a quick look through the forum but couldn't find exactly what I need explained.
In my garage I have a light operated by two pull cords of which one is opposite sides of the garage.
We've just knocked through one of the walls to create another exit/entrance. However the pullcords are nowhere near so I would like to move one of the switches to near the doorway.
Am I right in thinking that I could replace one of the pullcord switches with a junction box and run a cable from the junction box to a new switch at the doorway ?
Any advice please

Sponsored Links
Hi, I just thought as I didnt really need one of the switches, I could replace it with a box and run a cable from there.
What's the alternative ?

the best solution, is to replace the whole cable from the switch you're keeping to the new switch

each junction added to a cable is another failure point.

Presumably it won't mean much extra cable, I would just replace it all

Sponsored Links
Is your new entrance closer to the second (furthest) switch? in which case you could just re-route it. Otherwise, if replacing the cable would cause to much hassle then a maintenance free junction box, like those made by Ashley, would enable you to extend the cable. Any junction box that relies on screws to hold the bare cable connections together must be accessible for checking.

Do you have access above the ceiling for re-routing cable?
Or are you breaking in to the ceiling?
Or surface mounting new cable?
I personally would remove the three core & earth between the two pull cords and stick some twin and earth between the light and switch but it could be likely that you already have junction boxes in the ceiling void already, that is offering the supply. This would need confirming.

No I have no access above the ceiling and didnt really want to break into it.
Hmm this is tricky, I can't confirm there are junction boxes already.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back