Wiring Pull Cord Switch - Too Cramped - Junction Box Instead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted and wired an inline extractor fan for the bathroom operated by a pullcord. The supply comes from a single rarely used socket in the loft, taken to a 3 amp FCU with 2.5 twin & earth, then 1.5 twin & earth to the pull cord switch, then 3 core & earth to the fan, as it is a timer model, the permanent live is taken from the switch also, so everything's protected by the FCU and can be isolated, the switch, the fan and the permanent live.
But when connecting this up, the space inside the pullcord was very cramped for all the connections and both cables, it has a neon indicator so there's a couple more wires there as well as needing a choc block for the neutrals, I couldn't comfortably screw the cover on and I wasn't happy forcing it all in there. So I used a junction box in the loft void above, sited close to the pull cord to take the brunt of the connections, which enabled me to just make minimal connections within the pull cord switch itself. Is this acceptable?
It seemed far more common sense to do it this way, just don't want it to be outside regs.

RF Lighting - thanks again for the info regards the neon pull cord switches, I bought the MK bases and switches which you mentioned and work just right, just what I wanted.

Sponsored Links
How have you connected the JB to the switch? Are all the wires between the two in a sheathed flat 2+e or 3+e cable?

How have you connected the JB to the switch? Are all the wires between the two in a sheathed flat 2+e or 3+e cable?

Thanks for your reply.
The JB is connected to the pull cord switch, using sheathed 3+e cable.
Earth connected to the earth terminal in the base.
Permanent Live (Brown) connected to the com terminal.
Switched Live (Black) connected to L1 (or is it L2, can't remember but it's just a one way switch)
Neutral (Grey) connected with one of the pull cord base's neon wires in a choc block, the other neon wire connecting to L1 (or L2)

JB is a 20amp as that's what I had to hand, and is accessible.

It was far easier and seemed to make more sense making most of the connections in the JB as space is restricted in the pull cord base.

All works perfectly. Sound ok?

Yeah seems reasonable to me - providing you remembered to sleeve using the correct colours ;) .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back