Loud pull cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a load of wok done and now back to the bathroom.
Had a new skim on ceiling we have a very loud fan pullcord double pole, is there one with a softer less noisy action. Or I cant remember where i read it but somone who had the same issue mounted the pullcord switch in the attic and all that came through the ceiling was the cord through a small shrouded hole so all (most ) of the noise was in the attic and it meant a neat ceiling too.
So is this allowed

Sponsored Links
It's allowed, but having done it (not for noise reasons, but because I cannot abide round switches), I can tell you it's a real faff.

Does the switch have to be a pull-cord?

Does it have to be in the bathroom?

You can get proximity switches which go behind tiles so that there is nothing to see and virtually nothing to hear.

It's allowed, but having done it (not for noise reasons, but because I cannot abide round switches), I can tell you it's a real faff.

Does the switch have to be a pull-cord?

Does it have to be in the bathroom?

You can get proximity switches which go behind tiles so that there is nothing to see and virtually nothing to hear.
Why was it a faff I have had a look and for me at least it can be done quite easily.
When you did it was it all that much quieter as im sure that the noise would still translate along joists ect to some extent
I prefer the switch in the same room that i am in.
Yes pullcord
These proximity switches to me just sound like a maintenance problem behind tiles and extra electronics to go wrong.

These proximity switches to me just sound like a maintenance problem behind tiles and extra electronics to go wrong.

Having had 4 pull cord switches (from different makers) mechanically fail and drop to bits inside in the past year, compared to the pros switch that operates the bathroom fan being flawless since the house was purchased, we're now looking to fit one of those in place of the pull cord

You can put the switch outside the room sure. You can hen also get one of those touch sensitive dimming ones that is totally silent

Sponsored Links
If you install the switch mechanism in the loft it must be left accessible for maintenance, inspection and test.

Crabtree pull cords mechanism are a little bit quieter then most brands, failing that a dimmable pull cord or a remote controlled switch are other options. Other than relocating the switch or changing to wall rocker type.

Thanks all for the reply's
I wont be going for the prox switch I think.
I think its a catch 22 if you buy cheep it may have less of a clunck but will fall apart, there was an mk one DP that has been in use for years with no issues and still have it but just thought I would see if there was something quieter before holes were drilled.
Might look at crabtree.
Also why does it have to be a double pole switch which are noisy when the light switch isnt, the fan is also connected through a 3amp fuse.

Why was it a faff
Getting it all aligned so that the cord passed through the center of the small metal bush in the blanking plate I put on the ceiling.

When you did it was it all that much quieter as im sure that the noise would still translate along joists ect to some extent
It isn't significantly quieter when standing in the room using it.

Regarding problematic noise transmission to other rooms this is not something I have ever encountered with any switch in any house/flat/hotel I have ever been in.

Yes pullcord
Why?

Also why does it have to be a double pole switch
Dunno - you tell us, you're the one wiring it up.

Why was it a faff
Getting it all aligned so that the cord passed through the center of the small metal bush in the blanking plate I put on the ceiling.
Why does it have to go through the centre of the bush? Assuming that the inside of the bush is smooth, it ought to work (and look) fine even with serious misalignments - in aesthetically unimportant situations, I have pullcord switches with the cord turning through around 90 degrees through a simple 'eyelet', and that works fine.

Kind Regards, John

John, you've seen the meticulousness with which bas posts/quotes

Now apply that to any physical job he undertakes..

Bas, I think I'd have been tempted to fit the bush, shine a light through it and use the beam to align the cord/switch.. .

John, you've seen the meticulousness with which bas posts/quotes ... Now apply that to any physical job he undertakes..
I'm not sure that "meticulousness" is always the word I would use but, yes, you could be right. The fact that he did it only to avoid having a 'round switch' on the ceiling perhaps says a lot - I wonder what his view is about round ceiling roses?!

Kind Regards, John

- I wonder what his view is about round ceiling roses?!

Kind Regards, John

probably a light bulb on the end of a bit of grey pvc 2.5 hanging out of a hole in the ceiling. A square hole of course, millimetre perfect cut with a gnat's wood chisel

, millimetre perfect cut with a gnat's wood chisel

Could you tell me where I could get one of those- I could do with one

But what bush could I use on a flat plate, could make or buy

The one I used came out of the old biscuit tin full of a random assortment of small odds and ends which will come in useful one day.

The one I used came out of the old biscuit tin full of a random assortment of small odds and ends which will come in useful one day.
I also have such a tin (many, actually!). However, I'm sure that they are very easily bought - eBay might, on this occasion, be the OP's friend.

Kind Regards, John

However, I'm sure that they are very easily bought
Some of the things in my tins cannot be bought even with difficulty. With some of them I have no idea what they are, how I came by them, if they are still made, or even if they were ever made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back