Converting bathroom pull-cord to external lightswitch

Sponsored Links
So a different one - if I was to add say a shaver point to a lighting circuit using pyro would that need to be RCD protected? :confused:

Sponsored Links
You are not responsible for the circuit being in the bathroom.

The circuit was installed into the bathroom before the 17th came into force, therefore the circuit does not have to comply with the requirements of the 17th for the circuit.

You are responsible for the cable being in the bathroom, so it is that work which has to comply with the requirements of the 17th which apply to the cable.

There are no special requirements for cables that are in bathrooms, only for circuits.

You are not responsible for the circuit being in the bathroom. You are not required to change the characteristics of the circuit so that it complies with the applicable regulations for circuits.

If it's possible , I agree with the points made by both 123 and BAS. Maybe practically I'd side more with BAS, but in theory 123 'nips' it. This is just my humble opinion though. :eek:

I bet 'wateroy' has thought, 's*d that, I'll leave the bleeder where it is' !! :LOL: :LOL:

All the best

Ed

Well firstly, happy new year to everyone!

I appear to have opened the proverbial can of worms here...

I could really save myself a lot of work and hassle then if I could just find a pullcord switch that is reaonably quiet and doesnt use any kind of dimming circuit.

Somebody mentioned volex on another post. I'm sure someone out there must have found a quiet pullswitch!!

I wonder if I put a piece of neoprene or something in between the switch housing and the ceiling if that would solve the problem?

Usually solutions like that require the two items to be bonded to each side of the isolation material - you'll have screws going through it into the plasterboard so it may not help much.

But worth a try if you've already got some material to use.

I ended up getting a standard pull switch from wickes for about £3.
I'm a live-in landlord and it needed to get fixed quickly!

Although the new pull switch is still noisy, I have noticed that it can be operated on and off without pulling all the way, thus avoiding any mechanical noise.

2 questions:

- Is this safe?
- Would it be possible to modify the switch housing so that the cord cannot pull all the way, or damp the resonant twang somehow?

It may seem a trivial problem, but I'm a light sleeper and someone getting up at 5am and pulling the switch will wake me up every time!

It may seem a trivial problem

It does, since the noise made by a switch will be insignificant compared to the toilet being flushed.

If the switch noise is really such a problem, replace the switch with a ceiling mounted PIR sensor.

Read up a couple of posts and you see the 'sounding board' principle explained. I cannot hear the flush. The ceiling, however, is very efficient at transferring sound through my floor.

PIR sensor seems like another ridiculous excuse to market over-technology, and how annoying would it be if you didnt move for a while and were then plunged into darkness..

I'm sticking to my guns in the belief that a silent pullswitch is possible!!

If you were relocating the switch to the wall outside the bathroom presumably it wouldn't count as part of the bathroom and therefore wouldn't need rcd protected unless is was hidden less than 50mm deep or didn't have earthed sheath/mech protection?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back