IP rated bathroom lightswitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Possibly a dumb question, but is is compliant to put an IP rated lightswitch in a bathroom, e.g. IP66 outdoor lightswitch?

Presumably the issue is condensation rather than wet hands or splashing? Are IP rated lightswitches condensation proof?

Presumably pull cord switches are not condensation proof either? Obviously the cord protects the person from direct contact with electrics, but wouldn't a well insulated plastic wall switch too?

What am I missing?!

Sponsored Links
There is nothing to stop you putting even a standard light switch inside a bathroom. Providing it is located more than 600mm from the edge of the bath or shower.

As you say, pull switches are no more resistant to steam and moisture than any other switch.

Pull switches seem to be a throwback to some way of thinking in the dim and distant past and has been continued simply because “its always been done like that”

Think about the kitchen. Plenty of steam and wet hands there. No dangly ceiling switches there, and nobody worries about it.

Pull switches seem to be a throwback to some way of thinking in the dim and distant past
My thoughts, exactly.

The only place where I have ever seen a ceiling mounted "Pull Switch" in use was for the stairway in my Grandmother's terrace house, which was constructed in the late 19th
centaury but, no doubt, wired later.

Sponsored Links
A pull switch above the bed working two with the switch by the bedroom door was not uncommon in the 1950's 60's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back