Switched fused connection in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I was in my sister's bathroom today and noticed that there is a fused switch for the boiler in there. Is that safe/allowed?
So I've been googling it but can't quite find the answer.
It's outside zone 2, but it's within 3m of the bath. That said, it's behind a big sort of cover which has been built to hide the pipes and wotnot to make it look nicer. The cover is rather awkward to remove because of its size and shape but it's not's fixed to the wall so it is possible to move it.
Having read the rules, I'm not 100% on what's allowed and what isn't. I've read about socket outlets and light switches and IPx4. But it's neither a socket outlet nor a light switch, and it's not in zone 2. But it is within 3m. So does it need moving to outside the bathroom? And if so, what does it need replacing with in order to junction it? Or is it possible to just replace it with an IPX4 fused switch instead? I haven't found mention of that as a solution for equipment or accessories in a bathroom that are outside of the zones. Does that mean that it is or isn't allowed?

In short:

1) It was probably installed by an electrician, right, being a boiler, it's not a diy job is it. So I've no real reason to question it except that it doesn't seem sensible to me.

2) Can it stay as it is, or not?

3) If not, can it be changed to an IP rated one, rather than moving it to outside the bathroom?

4) If not, is it allowed to put a junction box in its place? Presumably an IP rated one. Or does the new fused connection have to wire directly into the boiler.

5) And I've not even questioned yet whether it's ok for the boiler to be in the bathroom too? (It's got a cupboard built round it).

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I was in my sister's bathroom today and noticed that there is a fused switch for the boiler in there. Is that safe/allowed? .... It's outside zone 2, but it's within 3m of the bath. .... 2) Can it stay as it is, or not?
From what you've told us, it sounds fine. The "3m rule" only applies to sockets. 'Outside of zone 2' (i.e. at least 600mm from bath or shower - basins don't count, although common sense would not have anything electrical too near one :) ) is all that is required for an FCU ('fused switch').

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back