Bathroom Light Fitting IP rating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An interesting question came up which i couldn't find a direct answer to is that the IP rating system covers ingress of water from spray up to completely submersed but what rating is the adequate one for steam/condensation when used in a bathroom? without going over the top and suggesting a submersible rating.
Anyone know what the acceptable rating is?

Sponsored Links
i would think ip44 would be the minimum (note the two digits of an ip rating must be compared seperately e.g. IP 50 would not be suitable)

plugwash said:
i would think ip44 would be the minimum (note the two digits of an ip rating must be compared seperately e.g. IP 50 would not be suitable)
Yes i was thinking along the same lines until the person asking mentioned steam could the fine vapour ingress where the spray cannot? i feel to clarify this, that a mention of steam/condensation should be included in the IP table at whatever level they deem suitable alongside the spray, submerged definitions then there would be no doubts.
Or is there a more detailed table in existence?

Sponsored Links
im sure the IEE regs specifically mention X4 (4X is specified elsewhere as a general reg so that makes the minimum 44)

your right though the general specification of IP ratings do not mention steamproofing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back