Bathroom Pull Cord Light help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, i'm new, and a little confused with an electrical problem I have.

I have replaced a pull cord light switch in my bathroom and now when wiring the new one up nothing happens (no lights). It doesnt even trip the fuse.

Coming in, I have 2 red wires, 2 black wires and a bare copper earth.

The lightswitch has an L2, L1 and COM.

both Black wires go into the same plastic terminal (not connected to the lightswitch!)

I thought i took the reds out of L2 and L1, but on wiring it back up it doest work.

i have also dismantled the pull cord switch and put it back together again. No parts are missing.

image of how it is at the moment below
View media item 57040
Please help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ignore me I'm an idiot!

Just read on another site that i need to break the circuit, so the red in L1 or L2 and the other red in COM has fixed it.

I can see the light!! :)

Sponsored Links
I realise it's irrelevant now as you have sorted it, but it's possible that you did take the wires out of L1 and L2 in the old switch because some switch manufactures insist on labelling the terminals L1, L2, L3 instead of the more conventional COM, L1, L2...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back