Mounting pull cord switch on the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a pull cord switch be mounted on a wall? They are generally described as "ceiling switches"

Sponsored Links
You can mount one on a wall, but it's designed to work when mounted horizontally and won't function properly on a vertical surface. It's also likely that the cord would abrade quite quickly if you tried to operate it through 90 degrees.

Take your point about the cord, but it won't operate vertically?

Where did you get your info. from?

Perhaps I put that a bit too strongly.

I've had a lot of trouble with (conventionally mounted) cord switches in recent years; maybe it's me, or it's the way they make them nowadays. I get the feeling that they would be even worse without gravity pulling the cord straight down, and with the extra friction that vertical mounting would involve.

Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Sponsored Links
Aw Securespark, you know what he means. Sooner or later, the spring mechanism gets a bit sticky, and the cord gets furry, and it doesn't quite work like it used to....
But really it's the extra wear on the cord thats the problem, which reduces it's life expectancy considerably. Not sure how easy it is to replace a broken string.
I wouldn't do it for that reason - I'd rather spend the effort to make sure it's mounted on a horizontal surface. Make a nice shelf you can fix it to, or some boxing in. Or you could fit it to the ceiling!

It's only that the cable for it is sticking out through the wall. I do not understand why nobody seems to make one that you can mount on the wall high enough to operate with a pull cord to comply with safety standards. I am sure that there are many situations where it is more convenient to mount it on the wall.

What about this one, making a box for it, sticking out from the wall?

http://www.castelco.co.uk/cordpull_pullcord_switches.html

It's for a wall fan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back