Dual pole pull cord light switches for side wall lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to rewire some bedroom lighting. The current configuration is a central ceiling light switched from the door and two wall mounted side lights swithced from a pull cord in each individual light.

I want to be able to swith the two wall mounted side lights on/off from the door as well as from each individual light.

I understand I will use a 3 gang dual pole switch at the door but don't want to use wall mounted single gang dual pole switches for the side wall lights. Is it possible to get dual pole pull cord light switches which are internal to the wall light?

Sponsored Links
BradC said:
I wish to rewire some bedroom lighting. The current configuration is a central ceiling light switched from the door and two wall mounted side lights swithced from a pull cord in each individual light.

I want to be able to swith the two wall mounted side lights on/off from the door as well as from each individual light.

I understand I will use a 3 gang dual pole switch at the door but don't want to use wall mounted single gang dual pole switches for the side wall lights. Is it possible to get dual pole pull cord light switches which are internal to the wall light?

Brad, want you want to do is possible, however please look at the descriptions your using for switches.

If you want to switch each light, individually, from the door, then the switch you will need will be a 3 GANG 2 WAY switch.

The switches you would need for the wall lights would be 1 GANG 2 WAY, and yes they do manufacture 2 way pullcord switches, they do make ones small enough to fit inside wall lights, but whether the ones available fit your lights is another matter.

When you speak of poles you are speaking of conductors, so a 2 pole switch would be one that makes or breaks both Live and Neutral, and this type of switch would not do what you need it to do.

I don't wish to sound patronising, but if you do not understand the simple nomenclature of switches do you really feel that your knowledge will be sufficient to allow you to do this work safely and effectively?

If you have any doubts, please call an Electrician.

But FWL,

He wants the wall light switches to be two way and integral to the fitting - this isn't possible, is it?

securespark said:
But FWL,

He wants the wall light switches to be two way and integral to the fitting - this isn't possible, is it?

That was why I read his post a couple of times, he is talking about adding a seperate switch for each wall light...or did I read it wrong the lasdt time too ????

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Not much help, but I have two separate, twin lamp, wall mounted light units which incorporate pullcord switches .... Have looked all around them but no indication of maker.
They came with the house ... (Built '68.)

Switch near door is master, off here, then no power available to the light units whatever the pull switch(s) condition.
So I believe they are not 'two-way' ?
P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back