Removing bedroom pull cord switch - old wiring

Here is how the wiring currently looks (from the advice given above. Works fine. One black wire not affixed as discussed).

Now I'm thoroughly confused. The conductor you would have disconnected would have been at the switch, not the light fitting.

Is this latest picture of a switch or a light fitting?

Is this latest picture a photo of something you have previously posted?

That disconnected black: was it already like that?

Sponsored Links
To clarify some points;

This is not a two way landing / hall light.

It's a bedroom light which did have a pull cord as well as wall mounted switch.

I have now removed the pull cord based on the advice in this forum (summarised below), which advised that the outcome would be an unconnected/loose wire in the light fitting (shown in the latest photo) and also an unconnected/loose wire (black) in the wall mounted switch.

1)Remove single and earth red from between pullcord and light.
2)Remove twin and earth cable from pullcord and re-route to light connect the red only back into the light.
3)At the wall switch disconnect the black of the twin and earth.
4)If switch operates upside down connect red of the twin into the spare terminal.

Will this leave me with one wire in both the light fixing and the wall switch not connected? i.e. If I'm only connecting the red into the light and also disconnecting the black in the wall switch.

Yes thats right and so are all the other proposals

Look forward to your replies. Thanks very much for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back