Wall lights - pull cord - options

K

kuytd

Hi.

I have two wall lights in my front room, they are both operated individually from their own pull cord. I am decorating the room, and want to replace these lights as they are a very old style.

There are not many new lights with this pull cord, and of the few i have found, most look horrid. So, is there any way of using normal wall lights, without running cables through the walls?..

Sponsored Links
The lights are supplied with a permanent live, so if you want them on a regular light switch you'll have to change the wiring - what's access like from above?

As for not running cables through walls, that would be possible, but IMO cables fixed to the surface of the wall, or in surface mount trunking, look sh*te.

Trunking on walls does look rubbish unless youre in some industrial conversion, would rather have cra**y lights than that.

The switches I do have are for the celing lights and landing, plenty of randon cables going to them but not for the wall lights.

Access from above would not be too bad, don'tknow how I would locate and feed cables from there though....

Sponsored Links
The wireless switch is clever, but you need somewhere for the reciever - either behind the light or in the ceiling. Either way you need to change the batteries in both the switch and the reciever, and the kit is expensive!

Can you get to the other side of the wall? My wall lights are on the wall adjoining the stairwell, I could go through that and have cables in there.

OK, more to the point, I have already decorated the room. But also, my walls are odd. They are hollow, but not studded. Instead they have some kind of cardboard honeycombe inside them...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back