Replacing pull-cord switch for PIR...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pullcord switch in my bathroom, that supplies 2x60w fixtures. It works fine, it's just ruddy noisy, enough to wake people if pulled in the night.

So, in my wisdom (ha), I decided to purchase, from Screwfix, one 360degree PIR switch. No more bathroom lights left on, no more manky pullcord, no more clunk-bang, and perfect as daughter learns to use the loo at night.

It's this one: http://www.screwfix.com/p/360-ceiling-standalone-pir/80538

Now, in there is 5 terminals. Live, Neutral, Earth, bridge wire from live to one side of load output, and a second load out terminal.

So. I took my old pullcord switch off, to see what we had there. 2 red wires, one earth. Sigh.

I'm guessing one is the live, the other the continued run to the fitting, that goes live when the switch closes..? In the new PIR, these would (I assume) go on the 2 output connections. With the bridge wire, the live would also provide a live for the PIR. I can see that much. However, no neutral...?

Tiny bit lost here - can anyone shed any light? Ha, no pun intended..

Sponsored Links
Is there an accessible loft above the bathroom?
If so you can rewire and position the pir in a more suitable position if you want.

You will need a 4core+earth to install this. If you know what you're doing it is easy, if not then please get an electrician.

Edit- yes 3c+e will do as Jack says.

You need a neutral for this PIR to work. So really the cable from the light where the permanent feed is to the pull cord position needs to be replaced for a 3 core and earth cable or...

....does the PIR have to go where the existing pull cord switch is.? These 360 degree sensors are more efficient if they are more central in the room rather than against a wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back