Replace one way switch with PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a standard pull cord light switch in the bathroom which I want to replace with a PIR switch. I bought a PIR from Screwfix (item 80538) which uses a neutral, earth, live 1 and live 2. However, there is a 3 core cable going to the old switch - I assume they are earth, live and neutral. Is there a PIR that can can be used to replace a one-way switch?

As you can tell I am not very experienced with electics but I thought I could manage to change a switch. :confused:

Sponsored Links
However, there is a 3 core cable going to the old switch - I assume they are earth, live and neutral
You assume wrongly! They are Live, switched live, and earth!

You need a PIR that does not require a neutral.

Thanks Steve. Makes sense. Is there a common name for such PIRs? I mean, how do I find out if a PIR needs a neutral or not?

Are you sure you want a PIR to control your bathroom light?

I don't see the point as the light may go off after so long when you're sat on the toilet reading, for example.

Also, by replacing the pull switch with a PIR would mean you couldn't easily change the lamp, unless you turn off at the mains.

You could fit an isolation switch of some kind.

PIRs are available in wall mounted form, or you can get a 360 degree ceiling PIR. Check suitability for bathroom.

I would say just about all PIRs require a neutral, so some rewiring may be needed.

It is common to use 1.0 or 1.5 mm flat 3 core and earth cable when fitting PIRs. This cable will provide
PERMANENT LIVE usually brown
SWITCHED LIVE usually black sleeved brown
NEUTRAL usually grey sleeved blue
EARTH

Be careful when identifying different core colours.
Remember a black wire isn't always neutral. Etc.

Don't cut out any earth wires. Sleeve with green and yellow.

Work safely.
If in any doubt seek help.

Sponsored Links
To answer sparkwright's questions, I am looking for an alternative to the pull-cord switch because our family bathroom (and cloakroom) are narrow and the cord is right in your face as you open the door. Sometimes it gets stuck in the door and that causes problems to our 3 year old at night when she can't turn the light on to use the toilet.

I haven't seen any swithes suitable for bathrooms in this country - they are common in where I come from. Another option would be a proximity sensor (behing a tile or a plate of some sort), of course safe for bathrooms, zone 3. I haven't come accross a suitable one yet though. Any other suggesions?

I haven't seen any swithes suitable for bathrooms in this country - they are common in where I come from. Another option would be a proximity sensor (behing a tile or a plate of some sort), of course safe for bathrooms, zone 3. I haven't come accross a suitable one yet though. Any other suggesions?

You can use a standard lightswitch as long as it's outside the zones. Zone 3 doesn't exist anymore, so if you're 0.6m away from the bath/shower tray, then you're outside the zones and can fit standard accessories.

Personally, I wouldn't - but you can if you so wish.

PS. If you go for the PIR, set the timer quite long. You don't want the lights going out just as you find a good motor in the Autotrader! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back