Trying to fit a PIR switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a PIR switch in palce of a bathroom pull switch (to stop the kids leaving it on all the time)

The PIR switch I bought from Focus has wiring instructions which say that there should be 2 lives and 2 neutrals, however the old pull switch operated from only 1 live and neutral.

I have tried to wire up using only one of the lives and neutrals in the PIR% but it doesn't work.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
The switch will normally have one live, and one switched live. No neutral. You would need to import the neutral from the light position for the pir to operate.

Part P of the building regulations applies though as you will then be altering the fixed wiring in a special location.

Might be easier docking the kids pocket money for a couple of weeks till they get in the habit of switching the light off to be honest!

What happens when you fall asleep in the bath, incidently?

Sponsored Links
And in the meantime, fit compact fluorescent lamps.

I was just wondering if a delay switch would do the trick, sort of thing used on staircases in blocks of flats, used to be pneumatic but I think I've seen electronic ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back