Replacing a PIR with a switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to replace a PIR in our bathroom with a switch. The PIR switches the bathroom fan and shower light on when someone enters the bathroom. It's annoying, as it comes on all the time, and is unnecessarily noisy in the middle of the night if you go into the bathroom.

So we'd rather have a pull chord, and turn it on when we use the shower. My question is that when I remove the PIR I have live, neutral, Earth and load wires. The new pull chord just needs a live, Earth and load.

So what do I do with the neutral wire? Do I just tape it up, or do I connect it to something?

Thanks for your help.

George

Sponsored Links
Hi, if you only have one neutral then yes make safe. If you have more than one you need to connect them together using connector block.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Happy days , just make safe with connector block and tape.

Regards,

DS

Or buy a double pole, pull cord switch. (if multiple neutrals)
... or, come to that, even if there was only one neutral - which could then be 'parked' in one of the spare terminals of the switch, rather than having to fit in a bit of connector block.

Kind Regards, John

I was brought up on the 15th to use tape to cover terminal blocks. Haven't done for a good many years, though... ;)
What sort of tape - the infamous PVC stuff? If one used SA tape, one would have to perform (careful) surgery to undertake "inspection, testing and maintenance" of the screwed connections!

Kind Regards, John

Yeah, PVC. But it stuck very well.
Depending on the environment, PVC tape is usually fine for a year or three, sometimes a lot more - but more often than not it eventually ends up falling off and/or creating a gooey mess!

Kind Regards, John

Like me on a ladder.

Falling off and creating a gooey mess, I mean... :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back