2 way and intermediate light switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm an engineer, but never had any practical experience of wiring.

I've cabled lighting and power in my new build house, on the loop in/out principal.

i.e. T&E from board to first fitting, T&E to next fitting, T&E to one way switches and 3C &E to 2 way switches.

I have a fitting position(upstairs landing) which has T&E feed, T&E feed out to next fitting to switch with it. T&E to next room, 2 No. 3C&E to 2 No. 2 way switches and 2 No. T&E to an intermediate position.

I'm aware if I'd wired feeds through light switches I could have used less wiring, but I would appreciate views on which is the best way to do this.

Its not too late for me to change and I am running through it alll with an electrician, and we may well change or simply installed a junction box above the fitting position.

Is this a common problem, or have I simply made a meal of a what should have been more straightforward?

Sponsored Links
Easiest way to do it (in my opinion) would be to take a T&E to the first switch (the one on the upstairs landing would be the obvious choiec), from there take a 3C&E to the intermediate switch, and from that take another 3C&E to the final switch - as in the diagram on the wiki: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:intermediate#diagrams

That way at your ceiling rose, you just have the normal loop in/out (in your case x2 out by the look of it) and switch wire.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back