2 way switching from light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
Can someone point me in the right direction of 2 way switching with the 3C+E cables coming into the ceiling rose..
Im fine with 2 way switching at the switches, but a little pointer with the cables coming from the rose will be a big help...
There is 1x T+E and
2x 3C+E
Hanging down......Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No problem.

But first - are the switches already connected?

If so - which colour has been used at the switches for the COMMON or COM terminal?

3 core cables are new, brown is the common at the switches. Black and red T&E

Ok.

Ceiling rose you say.

You will need an additional 5 amp connector block.

Make sure the power is completely off.

Put the two greys (sleeved brown) into the switched live terminal of the rose (where the brown pendant flex is).

Put the brown of the T+E and the the two blacks (sleeved brown) in the centre loop terminal of the rose.

Put the blue of the T+E in the neutral terminal of the rose (where the blue pendant flex is).

Put all three earths (sleeved green and yellow) in the earth terminal of the rose.

Put the two browns of the 3 core+E together in a 5 amp connector block.

Sponsored Links
There are 2 ways[excuse the pun] of wiring this.
I've made assumptions on wire colours but supply can be blue and brown if installed this century
Assuming the 2 way arrangement is new I've shown harmonised however the Brown, Black & Grey may be in any combination and not as shown here.
The first method requires one additional joint within the rose and the second method requires an additional two joints. Either method works well, the choice between the two is up to you.
The additional joints may be any method, choc bloc [5A connector strip] is popular, I'd possibly go for crimped connectors to save space which is always at a premium in roses.
I haven't shown earth wires to reduce complexity of the sketch but all 3 cables earth wire is sleeved green/yellow and connected to the rose earth tag, all incorrect colours should be sleeved brown [or red]
upload_2021-4-22_22-50-28.png

EDIT: Crossed in the post, I started drafting this before dinner, since then I've been on Zoom.
I happen to have selected different colours to Sparkright, any combination is correct in the situation.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back